Building hive boxes

Discussion in 'Building plans, blueprints, and finished projects' started by crazy8days, Mar 3, 2012.

1. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Today I was thinking about building a few hives. I have the skill (22yrs.) But, more I think about it the time put into it and cost is it really worth it? I can buy deeps un-assembled for $14.00. For you guys that build your own do you find it cheaper? Or do you build cause travel expense or having shipped cost more? I have to travel 55 miles but only will buy when I need other things as well.

2. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

For the most part you can't build as cheap as you can buy. But sometimes when you factor in shipping it can save you alot, also numbers can affect total cost. If your buying 2 or 3 items like boxs or inner covers then sometimes shipping is more than the items.
    Some folks just like doing it themselves or have a line on free or cheap wood, and when its a hobby often time is not valued the same as when you are in it for the $. Jim

3. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

I've seen it mentioned that deeps can usually be purchased cheaper than building them, but that mediums can usually be built at a cost competitive with buying them. Naturally if you have the equipment, know-how, time, and cheap/free wood then all bets are off....build'em yourself! :)

Ed

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Up here a deep costs $19.50 or $19.00 each if you buy 5 or more.
    I found a local mill that milled me pine 7/8 x 9 3/4" @ 50 cents a lineal foot.
    I bought 204 feet, cost me $117.50 with taxes included.
    Enough for 30 deeps and a few extra pieces.
    That's less than $4 a box (not including my time, or my friends)
    If you are only making a few and can't source the wood cheap, I would just buy them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:wink:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  5. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

Very nice, Perry. Very nice.

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Good looking bunch of boxes, just add bees!

Perry you a drummer?

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Just realized those are in the pic :lol:
    Naw, I got those for my 10 year old son.

What was I thinkin?

8. tefer2

tefer2 New Member

what ya doing for hand holds?

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I just dado in hand holds. If you look at the last pic you will see some of my honey supers stacked with newspaper between each box. Some of those are "store bought" with the factory holds and some are homemade supers with dado holds. If it wasn't for wrapping in the fall I'd probably go with cleats like tecumseh, better grip.

10. CharlieB

CharlieB New Member

Perry,

Looks like you wear that Maxant hat everywhere:goodpost:

11. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:lol:

I actually don't wear hats much, usually only when I am in a shop or some such place, I have 2 that are my favourites, the Maxant and the local bee supply store Country Fields.
    It's usually one or the other.:wink:
    For the time being, I do actually still have a full head of hair, not as dark as it once was though! :shock:

12. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

I'm not sure where some folks are buying their lumber, but I can build mediums for $3.50 apiece and deeps for around $6.50. Buying my 1x8's and 1x12's at a local Amish lumber yard. The boards are straighter and cheaper than at the big chain stores, plus the place is closer to my rural location. I use a compound miter saw and a table saw. Nothing fancy...measure, cut, glue, screw, prime and paint. To heck with $12.00 to $19.00 for hive bodies! I'll use the $10 to $12 I'm saving to buy the things I can't make.
    Don't let building boxes intimidate you. It's very simple. You do not have to make the fancy box corners like the ones you buy. Either cut them straight or use rabbit joints. Both can be done with basic equipment from plans on the internet or on here.

13. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Dave's advice is bang on! Bees aren't that fussy.
    Use the $$ saved to buy things like................bees, (unless you can catch a swarm or two). :wink:

14. melrose

melrose New Member

Looks like you got you a vacuum box over there. I made one, love it... used tiny old porcelain nob from an old cabinet door for the pull on the solid top that cover the screen. Pretty sweet looking. Works well also.

15. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I found buying the inner cover, telescoping lid and bottom screened board to be cheaper and less time consuming. I figure the shipping pretty much equals my time spent making them...so, I order them from Kelley's. I ordered an old style bottom screen board made from 2x4's that I am going to study and see if it's easier to make...may go back to making them. I make my own supers and deeps from 1x8's and 1x12's from Home Depot. I made two deeps and a short side left over with one 1x12-10 ($16.57) and one 1x12-4 ($6.42). And, two mediums and a left over short side with one 1x8-10 ($9.58) and one 1x8-6 ($5.85). All totaling $38.42 before taxes. Kelley's would have cost me $60 before taxes and shipping ($13/medium and $17/deep). Perry and Dave are right, if you can get a good deal on lumber you will be all the better...

16. Zulu

Zulu Member

Buying lumber from a mill is the only way to make it worthwhile, and you must enjoy doing the work.

Buying from Lowes , Home Depot etc, will make it more expensive

One of my brewing buddies is sales manager at a Lumber yard......

17. bamabww

bamabww New Member

Another option I found is that Rossman's Apiary from Moultrie, Georgia and another Bee stuff supplier are setting up booths at the Alabama Beekeeper's Association state meeting this month in Cullman only 30 miles from my home. They will deliver to the meeting place free of charge any orders paid for in advance and made in time for them to process and load the "wagon" prior to them leaving. I plan to stock up on some items and save some bucks on shipping. The clerk I talked with said the price in the catalog is what you will be charged and delivered to the booth area for free.

This may work for some of you in your area as well.

18. CharlieB

CharlieB New Member

You can buy unassembled budget grade deeps for $10.80 and med's for $7.70 (bulk rate) from Mann Lake with free shipping. This put me out of the box making business. No way I am save money doing it myself anymore. I'd rather be spending my time selling honey!

19. Marbees

Marbees Member

CharlieB: No way I am save money doing it myself anymore. I'd rather be spending my time selling honey!

Marbees:Even just assembling of boxes takes too much of my time, nowdays.(maybe because I built so many other parts):grin:

20. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Deeps are $9 here and $10.50 assembled, $12.50 assembled and copper dipped. $6.00 per box for pieced boxes with solid ends by the 100.