Building Large Cells?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Buzz Lightyear, Jan 12, 2018 at 10:29 AM.

1. Buzz Lightyear

Buzz Lightyear New Member

I built myself an observation hive with glass side panels and have been enjoying the ability to watch my bees go about their daily lives. When I put the bees in I did a split on one of my other hives hoping to be able to watch the whole queen producing process undertaken by the bees. I saw them build a queen cell (there could have been more further inside the hive out of my glass window view). I then saw that this queen cell had been torn down. I assumed I had a queen and that she had killed off all the other contending queens. I watched carefully to try and see when the first eggs would appear but unfortunately I have seen no queen and no eggs or brood. All the brood that was there has hatched, the bees are very busy bringing in pollen and nectar, but still no sign of new brood or eggs. I assume the hive is queenless. Now I see that the bees are building larger than usual cells at the bottom of a new frame that I had put in. These are about 50 % bigger than regular cells. They do not look like the queen cells I know. Some of the cells have now got uncapped brood in them. No signs of laying workers and only a few cells with brood. The overall number of bees is starting to drop off quite quickly now. Can anybody tell me what is going on?

2. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Active Member

they might be drone cells, can you put in another frame of fresh layed eggs from another hive to see if they will requeen on their own?..

3. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

definitely drone cells, you have a laying worker. they may not be able to be requeened easily, the sooner you start the better.