building um!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by JUDELT, Apr 1, 2012.

1. JUDELT

JUDELT New Member

Well, patient hubby and I are slowly building some or a brood box! wish us luck!

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I always thought it was fun putting together new equipment, especially when there is a swarm waiting on you to pick them up, no time to paint!!

3. JUDELT

JUDELT New Member

we just goy home from Lowes, boards to narrow had to get wider ones. finishing the cutting then to try out the new dovetail thingy. this may take awhile!

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Well I sure hope we get to see some pics of the progress!!

5. jmblakeney

jmblakeney New Member

It does. The first set I built was done with a dado blade. It did take a while to do 5 boxes. I have since started doing rabbet joints on the corners. It is much quicker doing it that way. However, I don't like the looks of them and am considering doing the box joints again. It is fun to build your own.

6. blueblood

blueblood New Member

It is absolutely fun to build the boxes. I think there will be more self satisfaction knowing I built them. I used a Kreg pocket hole system for simple butt joints. I needed a Kreg system for other projects this summer anyway. I have seen old dove and finger joints weaken or degrade at the corners especially if they were half joints. Butt and rabbet joints reduce the amount of end grain that can rot. I am actually going out to buy more pine tomorrow to build a couple extra deeps, bottom boards, stands, covers and lids for any swarms I may have an opportunity to have this summer. I don't get my bees until Tuesday and I am already thinking about doing more!

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Sounds like you got the bee itch just a little :lol::lol:

8. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

Building your own equipment can be rewarding. Plus its very addicting. If I could afford to build 100 deeps and mediums, I'd be out there right now!

9. JUDELT

JUDELT New Member

well, we stayed out till 10pm experimenting on spare wood then today while I was at work, hubby dovetailed enough for 2 boxes. then he ordered a bigger bit,so it would work better! I sure love my hubby!

10. Synth

Synth New Member

Do you use a jig for the dovetails?