Bumble Bee Stings

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Crofter, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Crofter

Crofter New Member

How is your reaction to bumble bee stings compared to honey bee stings. My wife got a sting on the back of the hand from a bumble bee and it swelled up like a boxing glove. Should have taken a picture of it. So far she hasn't got a sting from our tame bees yet. I dont know if I ever got a bumble bee sting but sure dont have much swelling from honey bees. I will take them any day over wasps or hornets; they have mean tail guns!

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Honeybee sting=Briar scratch

Bumblebee sting=bowie knife stuck to the hilt.

3. kebee

kebee Active Member

I have, in truck in summer, no shirt on, bumble bee got in back, leaned back got me, no hurt have I ever had from a bee sting like this one. They sure have my respect for them from than on.

Ken

4. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Bumblebees are our largest social bees size matters means longer sting, larger venom gland, sting still barbed so has to be removed as In honey bees. Their venom favorably to honey bees just much larger dosage. Carpenter Bees I think are our largest bee and anyone stung by one likely won't forget it soon lol!
    Barry

5. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I dropped a cedar tree on a bumble bee nest clearing brush one afteroon. It felt like someone hitting me with a ball bat every time I got stung. I will stake 100 stings from a bee to 1 sting from them nasty critters. And they can sting repeatedly no barb on the stinger

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Barry, I know there are more than one bumble type, but the ones here can and do give multiple stings. I have never heard of one leaving the stinger. Can you direct me to some literature on the type that leaves the stinger?

7. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

I just now looked it up only honey bees have the deeply barbed stings, bumble bees stings are not smooth but lightly barbed not enough to catch the sting in skin so in effect like a wasp.
    Learn something new every day.
    Barry

8. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Had an uncle who was hooking up his brush cutter to his Farmall C tractor, a bumble bee nest was under the brush cutter and attacked him.:shock: He said they were all over him and he ran to get away,but they followed him,said he would lay down and roll on the ground to mash them and get up and run some more, said he done that two or three times before they stopped. His wife counted 265 stings (welts on his arms, back, and head).Our cousin came over that night and jugged them, and he got stung 16 times. They both drank so much beer all the time that it didn't bother them much, they said it just itched.:???: My uncle use to say he never gets ticks or chiggers, he said when they bite him they get drunk and fall off.:lol: Jack

9. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

i removed an American Bumblebee (Bombus pensylvanicus) nest yesterday. They did and do sting multiple times. They actively defend the nest but do not follow more than ten feet from that experience. I had on two layers including the full suit and walked away with heat exhaustion so it was not a good night at the ER last night.

10. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

lol Americasbeekeeper, I was in Pa while walking on a wooded lot game trail felt the ground give slightly under my foot. Immediately there was loud buzzing could clearly FEEL vibrations through the sole of my boot. While pondering my dilemma whether to run and release the horde knowing they will dig out around my boot in short order anyway. Took off ...scientists say bumblebees are aerodynamically incapable of flight something about body weight and wing length and width. That being the case they truly do a wonderful imitation of flying lol wasn't stung they don't pursue nearly as far honey bees certainly not as far as yellow jackets.
    Barry

11. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I think i read that honey bees should be incapable of flight also? There's not many farmers around here that haven't had the thrill of mowing over a bumble bee nest in the hay field, (in the old days:grin:) you can get away with it the first round, but you better have some kind of protection the next 3 or 4 rounds.:roll: Most everyone (except me) have cabs on there tractor nowaday.Jack

12. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Don't think I'm complaining (after all you guys have reported) but I have never been stung by a bumblebee. Considering how I go after them with a net (they are really fast and evasive) I guess my luck has held out --so far.

13. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Efmecsh, if your picking them off one at a time you need to be a sport about it and go to their nest and net them in groups;-)

14. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Barry, you got anyting against my luck holding out? :chased::rolling: