Bumble Bees bought for greenhouse pollination

Discussion in 'Mason & other alternative bees' started by ApisBees, Nov 13, 2013.

1. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Glenreid Farm where strawberries are being grown. They discuss the bees who help pollinate the strawberries
    [video=youtube;PHKMWqJl0S4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHKMWqJl0S4[/video]

2. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

After my experience with my hives in my son's hothouse this summer (pollinating squash) I think it's safe to say that bumble bees are more suited for hothouses than honeybees.

3. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

It is a big business up here supplying bumble bees for hot houses. A bumble bee will stay with in the confinement of the green house and is happy A honey bee hits the plastic or glass on it's journey to the light and will beat it's wings of trying to fly further away. most of the bumble bees used for pollination are brought in and are not native spices. Hopfuly they don't bring in any pests ar disease that could effect the native species of of bumble bees, or transfer to the honey bees.

4. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

funny apis, they sure know the bumble bees do a great job at pollination, but really don't know much about how and why or their biology.......had to laugh about the discussion of the hormones, why they keep going back to the box, and whether or not there is a queen/hormone in the box.....:lol:

5. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

A lot of bumblebee colonies are imported into the UK for hot house pollination.

There was an article in British BKA News in recent years from the National Bee Unit (?) about bee diseases detected in some sample purchases. It was a little worrying. This is a vague reply because I've been unable to find my copy of the issue involved.