Bumble bees under a porch, Taylor Michigan

Discussion in 'Mason & other alternative bees' started by Gypsi, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

There is apparently a nest of bumble bees under my future soninlaw's mother's porch in Taylor, near Detroit.

Because I keep honeybees, he called to ask me about them. I know they are desirable as pollinators, I was trying to attract some to my yard. I think they all die off in winter just leaving a queen egg? Would anyone like the nest, before or after their seasonal die-off?

gypsi

2. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Yes bumble bees are known as solitary insects because only the queen burrows in and hibernates the winter. the same as wasps and yellow jackets. In the spring the queen emerges from where she burrowed to hibernate the winter once the weather warms up. the queen finds a suitable spot for a nest or burrows into the ground to build a nest. she makes there honey pot and a few cells to lay eggs in, she feed and looks after the larva until they hatch. then the new bees help to expand the nest and look after the new brood. The colony will reach about 200 bees by late summer. with the days getting shorter and colder it signals the hive to raise queens to burrow in and hibernate to head colonies next year.

Hornets yellow jackets wasps all live reproduce and survive the same way the bumble bee dose. That is why after the queens to go into hibernation emerge and go out fo feed and find a suitable place to survive winter. the colony becomes demoralized has no purpose. they them become the pests of the picknick until the cold weather kills them off.

3. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Hmmmm...very interesting...didn't know that about bumbles...

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

When I get called and find them my advice is always to "just leave them be if you can". When fall comes they will abandon the nest (which is not usually that big) and the problem will resolve itself. Then be sure to seal it up properly.

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Small world, my sister use to live in Taylor, on Hipp St., then she moved over to Romulus.

6. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

On your computer try inputting Bumblebee Conservation Trust. A web-site full of pics and info.

7. Gypsi

it is a great website, but specializes in UK bumblebee species. I'll look around some more when I find time.

Gypsi

8. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

My wife grew up in Rochester, MI. She went to high school with Madonna.

Sent from my DROID X2

9. ablanton

ablanton New Member

There's a Star Trek joke in there, somewhere . . .

10. Gypsi

I'm sure there is