Bumbles again

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by PerryBee, Aug 5, 2012.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Went to check out yet another call on bees in a wall.
    Lady called and said she had honey bees in her wall and that she believed her neighbour did as well.
    When I got there, the bees going into her wall were Bumbles (again, :roll:)
    But when I went over to look at the neighbours house, sure enough they were honeybees. I could smell the honey from 3 feet away. They have set up in a wall right next to a bay window.
    The bummer part is that this house is a rental, the owner lives over an hour away in Halifax, and he apparently is a do-it-yourselfer who will in all likelihood come down with a can of hornet blaster and take care of it himself. :sad:
    I was asked by the lady who called (Bumbles) if I could remove them. I told her I couldn't touch the house without the owner's permission. She is actually willing to pay to have the bees saved but her and the owner of the rental don't get along so I am not holding out much hope. I will write a letter explaining what he has in his wall and what will be left behind if he just sprays, but given it is only an income property for him .........................?

2. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Floridas the land of the rental home, I see it alot down here,they are too cheap to pay for a proper removal but a month later after the melting and the rotting and the smell they end up paying alot more.

3. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Landlords can often be a tough breed. All too often they think that anyone who lives in their property deserves no consideration. Unfortunately, unless each side knows the other personally, the tenants often think of the landlord in similar terms.

4. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Compose with the best politic-in you can muster Perry. I received a few false calls this summer which ended up being those pesky yellow jacket wasps...

5. JPthebeeman

JPthebeeman New Member

What's the latest on this Perry?

...JP

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

When people ask me if they can spray and kill the bees, i tell them that the Honey Bee is the state insect. (which they are) They then say, i better not do that then,:grin: I then tell them how important the bees are to our food supply. I usually get to remove them or give them the name of a club member close to them that will remove them. I don't lie to them, i just don't tell them it's not against the law in Mo. to kill them. I will say that most of the people that call me don't want the bees killed.:thumbsup: Jack

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I sent off an email to the lady that initially called me (at her request). I sent her a description of the cut-out / trap-out procedures with pictures and an explanation of both. I described how merely exterminating them would only be a temporary solution, and the problems that would still exist after that. Hopefully the guy gets the Globe and Mail, (there was a good story on a kitchen ceiling leaking honey that someone posted here a week ago) :wink:
    She is going to inform the tenants and the owner and pass on the info. I guess it just depends on the owner's line of thinking. We'll see.
    This is located next to a bay window about 3 feet off the ground so would be easy that way. Not sure which way they have gone in the wall. Aluminum siding if I remember correctly. I actually have to drive by there later today so I'll stop and try and take a couple of pics.

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

OK, did a drive-by and snuck a few shots. It's vinly siding, not aluminum like I remembered. :oops: It would make the job easier but I'm not holding my breath with the owner.
    Not sure where the bees are going to, whether it's in the wall, or between some joists. Didn't really want to spend too much time trying to figure it out unless I get permission or a go-ahead. Time will tell. Part of me says don't even tell the owner and let them swarm because I can only hope he doesn't do them in. The lady who called me in the first place owns the house just to the right (only her driveway between them) and has a Bumble Bee colony but she has agreed to let them be till fall and then seal it up.

Kentville bees 009.jpg Kentville bees 007.jpg Kentville bees 006.jpg Kentville bees 005.jpg Kentville bees 008.jpg

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I think you need to get under the house. It looks like the comb will be between the floor joists. If so, the owner should allow a removal without any wood or siding being removed. Who will pay the bill is another question......

10. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Thanks Iddee.
    The lady who originally called has offered to pay and if it is under the house (and that area isn't developed) it should be a relatively easy removal (words sure to come back to haunt me).
    The property line is only a couple feet to the right of this house and those trees you see in the first picture are on the property of the lady who called me and they are huge. (this is the bone of contention between the two).

11. JPthebeeman

JPthebeeman New Member

My first guess would be between the floor joists as Iddee suggests. That would be the easiest on you and the home owner.

Good luck!

...JP

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Where were these bees, Perry?

13. G3farms

G3farms New Member

You might get into the crawl space to see if they are in the floor joist, may just luck out for sure onthis one.

14. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I still haven't heard back from the lady who initially called. I presented her with a letter describing what I found, along with pictures of what to expect and she was going to present them to the owner of the rental. This one may take a while to resolve itself. I did mention that I had posted and that if the bees were between the floor joists and I could get access from underneath, it may not be as disruptive as other jobs. (hope that might help).

On another note, the lady who initially called happens to be best friends with a reporter for the local valley weekly here and apparently she is interested in possibly doing a story on a removal (whether this one or maybe the 45' one).
    If so, I'm gonna try and rig up a Beekeeping Forums.Com T-shirt to wear! :lol:

15. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Good advertising idea!

16. pturley

pturley New Member

Make sure they are long-sleeved and light colored and I'd wear one with a veil for my next removal...

17. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Update!
    Well, it's been a while on this one.
    I took a drive by this place today for the first time since last year, and there they are, flying to beat the band. I wish the owner would ...... or get off the pot on this one.
    I could get them out as the lady next door who discovered them has offered to pay me to remove them (loves bees) but the owner is being indifferent.

18. Zulu

Zulu Member

If they are in the crawl space which seems likely, and no damage is done to remove - surely with renters permission to enter the crawlspace, you can do it now ??

19. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I'm with Zulu on this.

20. Ray

Ray Member

On another note, the lady who initially called happens to be best friends with a reporter for the local valley weekly here and apparently she is interested in possibly doing a story on a removal (whether this one or maybe the 45' one).:thumbsup:
    If so, I'm gonna try and rig up a Beekeeping Forums.Com T-shirt to wear! :lol:
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Maybe scare the landlord with the threat of adverse publicity.