bur comb

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by reidi_tim, May 2, 2012.

1. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

I placed my second deeps last Saturday, had to run down to the farm today to help dad get ready to start cutting hay so I decided to give the bees a quick peek. They have started to draw frames on the second deep but I hive decided to draw comb between the first and the second boxes in the center of the hive. It was probably at least an inch up on the second deep and all the way across between the frames. The other hives had a few pieces of bur on the bottom of the frames on the second deep. SO what am doing wrong or do these bees just enjoy tormenting me :eek:

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Sounds like you failed to push the frames together when you placed the upper deep.

Either that, or the bee space, "3/8 in.", is not correct between the upper and lower frames.

3. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

Push the frame together hmm good possibilty. So do I try and center the frames and leave more room on the outside edges? And what do I do with the comb that they have drawn above the lower, scrape it off? Not really sure but it's probably worth mentioning that this hive is finishing their feeder at a two to one rate over the other two hives.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

at the earliest point possible you want to correct these kinds of problems with the sharp flat end of your hive tool. the longer it goes the more mess and more waste.

are you trying to start 9 frames in a 10 frame box? < I am trying to figure out what this means 'So do I try and center the frames and leave more room on the outside edges?'

5. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

Yes. For 10 frame langstroth boxes, you want the frames pushed together and centered in the box. Any extra space should be at the edges.

6. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

That is what I was wanting to out Tec using 10 frames but there is still extra space. Thanks Indy:thumbsup: