Burr comb Question?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by waski2, Jul 17, 2010.

1. waski2

waski2 New Member

My first hive, just starting with a 3 frame nuc. When I checked the hive today, its day 10, most things look ok, except I was wondering about the burr comb between the frames? The frames are all standard size, and there is no additional space, and yet comb is being built to connect the frames. Should this be removed?

thanks

2. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

It will have to be removed in order to inspect the frames... but until you need to remove the frames, I don't think it hurts any at all to leave it there.

3. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I usually break the burr comb by pushing the frames apart with a hive tool, and then pull the frames out carefully. This is hardest with the first frame you pull, then easier, because there is more space to move the next frame into before lifting. I leave the burr comb on when I can, and just put them back in the same order they were originally, so everything lines up. I figure, if I remove it, they will just make more, so why bother? Sometimes you have to clean some off the last frame (or the ones next to it) to get the last one in without crushing things.