Busby Farms Tree Trapout

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Fuzzystuff, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

So back at the end of April a friend told me at church that "we had a bee swarm in the yard yesterday". I asked if they were still there and why they did not call me. They said it was gone. I asked if they noticed any bees flying around in the eves or trees around house and they said no. I did not think anymore about it just that if I was in the area I'd checkout their place. Yesterday (June 4th) I told them that I was coming out to checkout there place for bee action and she told me oh I was going to tell you I see bees flying up around the trees.

I went out today and took my gear to set a trap out if there were bees. I got out and I could hear buzzing but could not see anything. I kept walking around until I finally looked way up in the trees and I found them about 20 ft up in a tree so I grabbed the ladder and headed up tree and bingo there they were.[attachment=2:2tpwknux]Sherman-20110605-00032.jpg[/attachment:2tpwknux]

Here are some more pictures of the cone set and the trap box. Within 20 mins they were making their way into the box. I took a little video too but not sure if I can post it do to size.[attachment=1:2tpwknux]Sherman-20110605-00039.jpg[/attachment:2tpwknux][attachment=0:2tpwknux]Sherman-20110605-00044.jpg[/attachment:2tpwknux]

Attached Files:

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

put you video onto youtube and then post the link back on the post.

Looks good to me, and good luck with it!

Did you put eggs in the bait hive yet?

3. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

Thanks G3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u3_yjCQDBU

I have 4 bars of comb and a new queen coming (Walter T Kelly). The eggs I have now are not nice bees. I put a lure in the hive for now. They were dressing comb and entrying the bait box within 20 mins.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Your bait hive needs to be down at the entrance of the bee tree so that they can walk right into the bait hive instead of having to look for the hive entrance.

5. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

OK might be tricky as space is tight but I will see if I can extend the cone. They are gathering in and on the box so I think I'm OK. We are into our 5th or 6th day of 100 or higher days, so I think they are just to blasted hot in the bait hive right now. They are doing alot of fanning outside the box entrance. I should receive my queen today which I think will help. The girls are a little lost right now.

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

The cone looks fine, why are you going to extend it??

I was taught to put the hive entrance as close to the original entrance as possible.

7. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

I physicaly cannot get the box any closer and keep it level and out of the Kansas wind since I'm 20 feet up a tree. I not worried about it when I placed the queen in yesterday they had all 4 bars of dressed and had started placing stores. I wired the queen cell to a bar and placed it in the box and as I did the bees just turned and started marching in.

Attached Files:

8. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

Side note this is my 2nd trap out so I’m still learning. Thanks for the advice. I probably did not mention this before but the entrance for the hive is strait up and not on the side of the tree.

9. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Maybe I was not clear on this..........the end of the cone is not the original entrance, the original entrance is what you put the con on to trap the bees outside of the original hive. When the bees leave the cone they go to forage, I have never seen a bee leave the cone and orientate to the end of it, they are just glad to be out of the blasted thing so they can fly. When they return they will land as close as possible to the base of the cone, where the original entrance is still located.

Looks like you used a small piece of #8 hardware cloth to make them a ladder into the bait hive, I think that will help since the gals are very confused and curious as well, they will explore everything until they finally pick up on the brood scent and enter the bait hive.

10. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

I gotcha' that makes more since. Thanks I will definitely use that info in the future. Are you in Knoxville? We have some work coming up in that area and would enjoy seeing your operations sometime.

11. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Yep in deep west Knoxville, the Concord/Farragut area to be exact. Not much to see here just some hives sitting around. What kind of work do you do?

12. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

Construction, the group I work in does hotels. I run all the field operations for all of our sites.

13. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Need any fire sprinkler work in the hotel you are coming to Knoxville for??? :beg: :lol: :lol:

14. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

just a quick update on the trapout. They are filling up the box pretty quick and will need to switch it out on Tuesday. They are also starting to cap honey so a bonus. The new queen is doing good.

15. Iddee

Iddee New Member

16. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Sounds like all is going your way :thumbsup:

17. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

Just a quick update. I removed my first box Friday and moved them to my place and placed a new box with fresh eggs in its place. These girls took right to the new box. When I got back to the house I removed the screen at the entry and bees just started flowing out and gathering 2 inches deep all on the outside. I could hear them fanning like crazy trying to cool down the box (100+). I decided that I needed to get them moved over to a bigger place. I Transferred them Saturday into a warre hive. These girls... change that these ladies were just as gentle as can be. I have to search pretty hard to find the queen but finally did. She was right on the bottom of a bar and I did not want to hurt her in the move so I picked her up very gingerly and placed her on the top bap, she did a 360 and crawled right down on to the frame. I was picking up handfuls of bees and shaking them in the box. Did I mention no gear. They never even bothered me. I closed up the hive and gave them a feeder. They have been hitting the feeder pretty good 1 qt in 2 days and bring in pollen. I noticed first thing Saturday morning that they were on the squash and cucumber plants pretty thick. I’m thinking all is pretty good. The new box I put in the tree is a 5 frame NUC deep with about 30 eggs standing on end so hoping everything works out ok. Did not have my computer this weekend so pictures to follow.

18. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

Trapout is done. Pretty sure it was an early swarm. I got 1 full hive and a nuc. The queen is not laying in the nuc so I will put in a bar of eggs and because I don't think I have one in there. This one went a lot better then the last trapout I did, I did not wined up killing all of them.