Busy and Mean???

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, May 9, 2013.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

The bees are taking advantage of the warm sunny days between the snow and rainy days.I have top and bottom entrances on all my hives and both are congested, they are bringing in both nectar and pollen and filling all the drawn comb supers. There's not all that much in bloom here yet, but they have some kind of early flow going on:???:. On the warm sunny days i see to much activity on a hive i check the bottom bars of the brood chamber and in most cases i find swarm cells and start a queen search and make up nucs to try and prevent a swarm:roll:. I'm running out of nuc boxes and will have to start using 10 frame deep hive bodies, i'm using drawn comb from dead outs and extracted honey frames to give the nucs a head start and they are booming:thumbsup:. It must be the weather making them mean during a flow? the girls are not thrilled to see me coming, they run me off and i have to put my jacket and veil on just to look in on them. Anyone else seeing this? Jack

2. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Jack, you've just made me feel a lot better, I thought it was just me. This has been the strangest year...I was attributing the girls' attitude to the weather also. I've gotten stung more this year than I have in past years combined. And it isn't when I'm working with the hives. I get stung working in our gardens which are anywhere from 10 to 50 feet from the hives (to the side and behind). It seems the tiller and the garden tractor set them off...and that hasn't happened before. Also, it seems just the fact that I'm around is good reason for the bees to get me.

3. dr.buzz

dr.buzz New Member

It may just be anecdotal observation, but I've been chased and zinged in areas of my yard behind my hives that I've NEVER been bothered in before, this year....when I thought the flow would have chilled them out by now, late as it is...

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

hungry can make any hive somewhat defensive...

robber guards are a good idea if you have hives close to any area where you or family or pets or livestock all must share.

5. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

tec: Robber guards?

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

there should be several comment on this forum in regards to robber screens/guards and perhaps a thread but definitely a picture here or there. essentially they are nothing more than a few thin strips of wood attached around the bottom board entry with a bit of galvanized wire attached. they essentially provide a ladder of barrier at the front entry. their original intention is to discourage robbing but they also tend to make bees less defensive (which is to say the guard bees will not be so inclined to jump at anything that moves around the front entry).

7. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I guess i shouldn't of said they see me coming:grin:, they are facing south and i approach them from the north, so they must smell me coming.:lol: Anyway i've already taken more hits this year than i did all of last year. I had a first yesterday, i was moving some hives and set down on the tailgate of my truck to rest. Well i sat on a bee:shock:, now that will make you stand up straight.:roll: Jack

8. jb63

jb63 New Member

My wife had one fly into her hair the other day and sting her on the head.Now because of that one trouble maker I have to move 4 two and a half story hives.Thanks a lot bee.

9. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"My wife had one fly into her hair the other day and sting her on the head.Now because of that one trouble maker I have to move 4 two and a half story hives.Thanks a lot bee."

.........:lol:

10. bamabww

bamabww New Member

I have one hive the same way Jack. Very busy and very mean. These girls have been dive bombing furiously, so much I've actually backed off a couple of times. We've had some strange weather as well but this one hive of 5 is the most aggressive by far.

11. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Now that we've had several days of 80+ degree weather, the girls seem to have calmed down.

I've worked in the gardens and mowed a couple of times without them being bothered. Of course, they're probably waiting until the veil is off. :grin:

Walt