Busy day with the Girls !!!

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Yote Shooter, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Yote Shooter

Yote Shooter New Member

Picked up my two packages today and got a queen to requeen my other hive that has gotten way to aggresive.

Got started with installing one package at the house in the empty that I lost this winter. No trouble at all. Got her and the others settled in and filled the hivetop feeder. Now on to the MeanGirls!!

Got that layers separated and absolutley could not find the queen to squish! Looked for more then a half hr. They were so worked up. Back so sore bending over, had to drop to knees to continue. Only good thing was enough clothes inside my suit that they didn't get me today.
    Give up on that and set the new queen aside.

Went on to the other area where I had lost another this winter and installed the other package. No trouble at all. Got them all settled in and returned to the house.

Decided I would take a risk. Back in the MeanGirls! Looked and looked again. Could not find her. Sooooo...I took three frames of brood from the meangirls and a frame of honey and a frame of honey and some pollen and placed in a new brood box with my new queen. Have to hope that I didn't get the two queens in that box. Risk I had to take or let the new queen die. Just hope I got enough bees to get her started and protect her from the cold. We are having nice weather now and calling for decent near future. Wish me luck!
    Tim

2. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

There were no attendants in with the queen? or was she a second queen sent with the package. in the future you could shake the bees off of 3 or 5 frames and put them in a super over a queen excluder and place the new caged queens in the top box along with the bee less brood the nurse bees will travel up thru the excluder to care for the brood and queen. in a day you could move the upper to a new stand. if you shook and moved all the brood above the excluder the next day there wouldn't bee many bees in the bottom super with the old queen.

3. jb63

jb63 New Member

Another thing to do is put an excluder on now.Then you know which half has the queen, because it has eggs.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

or actively shake (bump, run) the mean girl hive thru an excluder< I typically have a queen excluder nailed to the bottom of an old box which I then set on box that I place on the ground directly in front of the hive in question... you want to use a lot of smoke and drive the bees you knock off from the hive thru the excluder.

almost always in very populated hives you need to have an alternative method of finding a queen beside just looking and searching.

5. Yote Shooter

Yote Shooter New Member

Yes she did have attendants, but had been caged for a long time. When I picked up the packages, the supplier said she needed to be put in that day. Had not even considered the other options y'all suggested. Thanks, will be helpful in the future. Haven't used excluders at all but can borrow what I need.

Other then still having an aggresive hive, I benefit from having the third hive, if I win with the odds I had. Maybe I still get another queen in the near future and give it another try.
    Thanks for the advice!
    Tim