Butterfly Bushes Cheap

Discussion in 'General Gardening' started by blueblood, Nov 12, 2012.

1. blueblood

blueblood New Member

For you folks in the US, you might check the 75% off clearance garden center items left over at your local Home Depot that they always sit out by the front door. I found 10 butterfly bushes or so that used to be $25 for $6 and some change. I bought a purple and a pink one. All of them are waist high and the base stem is about 3/4" diameter. For those in the Indy area, I found mine at the Southport location. Hoping to grab a couple more soon.

1112121855a.jpg

2. ablanton

ablanton New Member

Do your bees like them? My butterfly bush was huge this year and full of blossoms, but my girls didn't show the least bit of interest. The bumbles would stop by from time to time, but no honey bees at all.

3. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I didn't have any until now. But, I watched a butterfly bush in town periodically in town while on patrol and always observed tons of bees and every other pollinator on the bush. It was a big smorgasbord extravaganza!

4. kebee

kebee Active Member

abalanton, have you not learned that your bees in your yard will not work it, seem that they wanted to go 2 miles to get the flow than touch anything blooming in the yard, they touched nothing in my yard this year.

kebee

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I am putting these bushes 1/4 mile from the hives in my yard...Lot of truth in what you say Kebee because I saw bees in the front of my property but not so much in the back by the hives where I planted lots of goodies for them.

6. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood Member

Is there any way to find out which variety that bush is? I always wonder if some varieties are more attractive to honey bees or if that happens to be the best nectar choice at the time of blooming.

7. Minz

Minz Member

Well two is more than you need. I put in about a dozen along the highway and all of a sudden I have them in my blueberries 50 to 75 yards away (on the other side of the berm). The dang things grow 10’ tall, you can cut a limb and stick it in the ground and they will grow. Many types are considered an invasive species out here so you should be able to propagate them without much trouble.

8. blueblood

blueblood New Member

You are absolutely right Minz, the one I saw this summer was every bit of 10 feet tall. I will be careful where I plant them...

9. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

We have several butterfly bushes...We started with 3 purchased as you did, Dave, on clearance. One of our best buys, I think!
    The honey bees prefer this color over the blue, but only when other things are not blooming...it seems so any way, I would like to know if the lighter pinks or whites work as well for honey bees

honey bee butterfly bush.jpg

I have propagated 8 or so successfully, from the older ones trimmings with some success. Now if I planted them properly, in fancy rooting soil and buckets, rather than just shoving the branches in the dirt...screwdriver hole, shove in the stick past the nodules and wait. Propagating this way, works best around the edges of the ponds :grin:

P1010029.JPG
    this is the blue one they are less interested in, and they do grow big after 3 years...

P1010146.JPG
    This deep red purple (left of the maple in photo) one is 6 years old, and the one they favor. the same bush the honey bee pic was taken.

P1010001.JPG P1010002.JPG
    The chickens like it too for their afternoon naps.

10. LunacyMountain

LunacyMountain New Member

yeah you only need one of each color then clone branches off of it a year later when the wood is nice and soft and the bush is growing....but I never notice too many bee's on mine either it just brings in the butterflies and some hummingbirds.... sometimes bumbles end up on them but they quickly change their mind and work back to herb gardens

11. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Tonja and Steve: I am diggin your large windows. My wife would love the sun that those would allow in! Very nice and neat looking property. I like it!

Thanks for the great photos. I have the light and dark pink bushes ("Black Knight" and "Pink Delight"). I would like to have a blue one just because I like blue. I should add, I am not entirely set on planting these for honey bees. I want them for all pollinators to enjoy and use. I can sit and watch a butterfly bush as long as I can watch a hive work...good stuff!

mms_picture (54).jpg

12. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

Thanks, Dave, It is very peaceful here, and we like the windows, too, except for in the hot part of summer! Steve and I did all the landscaping and planting by hand, with hardly more than a shovel.... Only tree and such in the yard was the one sunset maple, and two azaleas, irises and lilies. Every other plant or tree was added since 2006. Much heart and soul in the whole thing many were gifts or traded from neighbors.
    Thanks for the compliment.

13. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

Your black night one looks like the one of ours they like. Anxious to see if you find they like the light pink one, too. I haven't one.

14. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I have a 10 ft tall white butterfly bush, and while it is not the bees preferred bush to work (they love the vitex most), they will work it. I bought a purple back in july but the weather got too hot for me to plant it, I guess I will pick a spot far from the hives so they will visit it.

Maybe by my eunomous (sp) and cherry laurel, which they enjoy.

Do they get ANYTHING from crape myrtle? Because I am going to take my big one down, and I have a young one I started from a cutting that I am considering taking down and replacing with a butterfly bush

15. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

I heard rumored that they like the white crepe myrtle best, but not tried it myself... I have two shades of pink and they don't seem to pay either much attention.

16. ablanton

ablanton New Member

They showed little interest in my pink ones this year. The white ones were covered in bees every day, but they didn't seem to get anything out of them. NO honey production at all. All I can figure is that they were getting pollen. My trees are very large, so it was too high for me to tell if they had pollen on their legs.

17. Gypsi

I have 2, the dark "cranberry" pink and the only time I saw a bee on it, I had a swarm in it. I went oh, wow, they finally found the flowers. Until I saw the big clump....

I think I'm cutting both down and replacing. I picked up a couple of more Vitex and 3 Rose of Sharon (althea) at Plant Shed for 80% off Saturday. I know they like both.

18. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I see many bumbles on my rose of sharon, but have never seen more than one or two honeybees on it. The japanese beetles LOVE it.

19. Gypsi

Butterfly bush will propagate from a cut limb stuck in the ground? Hmmmmm... I could handle another white one.

20. Gypsi

Maybe desperation is required, because the honeybees were after my neighbor's rose of sharon, but we have so little out here besides grassland, they may have been desperate.

At $8 apiece for a 5 gallon shrub, the fact that I really don't think Rose of Sharon's are all that pretty didn't affect my decision. I Sure hope I bought bee fodder.