Butterfly Bushes Cheap

Discussion in 'General Gardening' started by blueblood, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Yours may do better. When mine blooms, there are many things blooming.

2. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

There were hundreds on the ligustrums at the house we did the cut out. The fragrance was over powering and the honey was really very abundant in that cutout. This may be another honey source to consider. It bloom, May 26th, after the blackberries and before the sourwoods in this area.
    2012 0526 home4.jpg

This location is a half mile, down the road from us. They are massive and overgrown. We hope they don't cut them down when they knock down that house.

3. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I have either Ligustrum or Cherry laurel the birds planted. Bee inspector said it was cherry laurel, whatever it is the bees love it. Texas Invasives website says ligustrum is horribly invasive - and I really think that is what this is. The leaves are rounder than cherry laurel. But again, the bees love it...

4. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

Yes Gypsi, I am all for going native as much as I can and try to use a lesser amount of imported invasives. Ligustrums are generally (legustrum japonica) imported. In my Japanese Garden I have some invasives, but many plants are taken from our own wooded areas too. Non native plants can do screwy things to the environment in large quantities, like kudzu and bamboo for example. Our AG guy detests the bradford pears being pumped out at the many home centers...They carry bacteria spores like fire blight, and such that. Moderation again I think is important and good honey bee food is as well.

5. Gypsi

anyone planting?

6. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Not for a while....

7. Gypsi

that's right, you have a blizzard. I am planting in the greenhouse in the morning I hope.