Butternut Squash Lasagna

Discussion in 'Dinner Recipes' started by Hobie, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I saw this in Mother Earth News, and it's wonderful! I made a few changes:
    1. I just steamed the chunks of squash and mashed them, rather than use a skillet.
    2. I used regular lasagna noodles (cooked), and
    3. I added chunks of ham with the squash layer. Kind of puts a kabosh on the "vegetarian" aspect, but ham & squash was always my favorite meal as a kid!

Butternut Squash Lasagna
    Ingredients:
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1 (11?2- to 2-pound) butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 cup water
    1/4 cup butter
    1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    4 cups whole milk
    Pinch of nutmeg
    12 no-boil lasagna noodles
    21?2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
    1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated

Instructions:

Heat oil in a heavy, large skillet over medium heat. Add the cubed squash and toss to coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour the water into the skillet, cover and simmer over medium heat until the squash is tender, about 20 minutes. Transfer the squash to a mixing bowl or food processor and mash. Season the squash purée to taste with more salt and pepper.

Melt the butter in a medium-size saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and whisk for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in the milk. Bring to a low boil over medium- high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the sauce thickens slightly, whisking often, about 5 minutes. Add the nutmeg. Season the sauce with salt and pepper to taste.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly butter a 13-by-9-by-2- inch glass baking dish. Spread 3/4 cup of the sauce over the prepared baking dish. Cover the bottom of pan with one layer of lasagna noodles. Spread half of the squash purée over the noodles. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese. Drizzle 1/2 cup of sauce over the cheese. Repeat layering once more, finishing with a layer of noodles covered only by white sauce.

Tightly cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove cover, sprinkle the remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses over the lasagna and continue baking until the sauce bubbles and the top is golden, about 15 minutes longer. Let the lasagna stand for 15 minutes before serving. Serves 8.

2. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

That sounds really good. I see squash in the store, but never really know how to prepare them in a way the family would eat them. I thought about ravioli, but this sounds easier.

3. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Squash in general is easy. I like the Butternut because , for it's size, it has a lot of edible flesh and minimal seeds.

Some people cut in half, remove seeds, and bake, cut side down on a cookie sheet lined with foil. (Otherwise, the cookie sheet clean up is atrocious!) This can take a while, especially for large squashes.

I prefer to cut in half, seed, hack off the skin, cut into approx. 1" cubes, steam the cubes, and mash. Add butter and S&P to taste, or eat it "straight up" like I do! The Butternut has a smooth skin, so not so many lumps to cut off/around. With Butternut, I cut off the bulb, cut that part in half and seed, then hack the skin off and cut up that part. (On some small squashes, the layer of flesh around the seeds is so thin, this is not even worth the effort.) Then cut the skin off the top (where all the good stuff is!) and cube. You will soon learn to select the squash with the fattest "neck" and smallest bulb!

Squash skin is tough, so it takes a good knife and a solid cutting board. Not difficult, just need to protect the countertop when (not "if") the knife slips. You'll get the knack.

To save long term, blanch the cubes quickly (1 minute or so), drain and put in zip-lock bags in the freezer. Nothing like fresh squash in February! Just dump out of the bag and steam.

4. srvfantexasflood

Wow! Thanks Hobie!
    I have the butternut squash, no boil lasagna noodles and mozzarella now. I am also thinking of substituting heavy cream for some of the milk.
    I also have started a big pot of vegetable beef soup. I plan to take some to my mother.
    Time to get chopping!

5. Hobie

Hobie New Member

The cream would be very good! I only had skim milk and my sauce was a bit runny, but it still worked.

Mixing in some shredded cheddar cheese with the mozzarella adds good flavor as well.

6. srvfantexasflood

I made the lasagna. It's very pretty. it also cut and served very neatly too. I don't like it when lasagne falls apart and doesn't stay neatly stacked. I wish I had added some parmesan cheese. The squash was so sweet that the whole dish tastes sweet. Other than that it was very good. I did use 1 cup heavy cream and 3 cups whole milk. I think the cream might have been overkill. It was soooo rich. You were right, the hardest part was peeling the squash.
    I bet you could add diced, blanched vegetables to the white sauce, omit the squash, and have a good vegetable lasagna too. I'd add broccoli , carrots, onion, celery, etc.