Butts in the air?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by jim314, Dec 9, 2012.

1. jim314

jim314 New Member

Yesterday I removed the ventilated shims on my hives because we are finally going to get some cold weather. When I popped the top most of the hives had 10-20 bees milling around on the inner cover. It looked like they were harvesting propolis but I don't know that for sure. The tops of the inner covers had propolis on them so that's what I figured. To the hive, when I pulled the telescoping cover, all the bees on the inner cover had their butts raised in what I would have thought was a defensive position. But they were actually much more docile than usual. Anyone know what this position means? I've seen it periodically on some bees, but never where all the bees I could see are doing it at the same time. By the way, they all still have generous stores.

2. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

butts in the air, nasonov gland, releases a pheromone, for many different reasons, and i am guessing they were fanning as well?

3. jim314

jim314 New Member

No they weren't fanning. Just milling around picking at what ever on the top of inner cover with stingers and hind legs pointed up.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

my guess would have been the same as riverbees. why would they be harvesting propolis off of the inner cover?

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I would imagine they were issuing an alarm (the roof to their home had just been removed) and they were slow cause of the temps.

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Like perry said, they were showing the end result if you go further.:lol: Jack

7. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

I see a few bees do the same thing after I pop the top in almost every hive, its normal ad I think river is right and its a warning that you might get attacked if you come in any farther.

8. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I've found smoke reduces this. I switched from summer covers and feed jars back to insulated winter covers and bee candy with pollen sub yesterday, one hive was a bit defensive. I'd like to put a base on one that has an open screened bottom board, but that is probably my most populous hive and I'm pretty sure their butts would be in the air and they'd be hunting for suit openings if I tried.

Gypsi

9. Omie

Omie New Member

When i saw this thread title it reminded me of the great song from the American Idol 62yr old contestant- "Pants On the Ground"...
    "Pants on the ground, pants on the ground, lookin' like a FOOL whitcha pants on the ground!"

Now the new hit song... "Butts in the Air"....
    "Butts in the air, butts in the air, Pharoah-moan-y fannin' whitcha butts in the air!"

:thumbsup:

10. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Somehow, Omie, I just can't hear that song accompanied by a banjo. :lol:

11. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

When are you releasing the CD Omie? I'll buy that! :thumbsup: