Buyer Be...Alert

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Walt B, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Walt B

Walt B Active Member

A few weeks ago I went into a big box store and the pricing of the item I wanted was something like $19.47 for a 1 quart bottle and $42.95 for a 2 quart bottle. Being the “smart consumer†I bought the larger bottle. :lol:

My electricity contracts are ending, so today as I was comparing prices. I noticed that most providers now have a condition, buried in the electricity facts sheet, that mentions a $9.95 charge if usage falls below 999kwh for the month. That’s right, many of the providers are charging a fine for conservation! :eek: My new provider has no such fee. :thumbsup:

I’m thinking, it’s quite a little game that’s being played with the consumer.

Walt

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I've noticed a 25 lb. bag of sugar at wal-mart is always more than 5 5 lb. bags.

My garage has a meter separate from the house. It is 17.10 per month. I use a flourescent light about 30 minutes per month. Many months it won't show a kwh on the meter, but it is still 17.10.

3. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Iddee Your paying for the privilege of having the wire run to the garage. Its time to invest in a generator and cut the ties with the electric company for the garage. Up here in the tundra farmers get special rates and only charged for power used. No bill for power to the irrigation pumps all winter. between the tractors and the bees you should qualify as a farmer maybe?
    Up here if your comercial the Power Co puts you on a program called demand power, how it works is the highest usage of power over any 20 minute period during the billing month is the rate you pay for power during the month. Makes you question why do we bother turning the lights off at night?

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Because of the heating system we installed we get off peak power @ 50% savings. Nova Scotia has some of the highest electrical rates around. :???: