buying used equipment

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by edcisco, Nov 5, 2009.

1. edcisco

edcisco New Member

I just bought some unassembled supers and frames from a guy who was getting rid of some of his hives. Along with the new stuff, I got two hives that were sitting outside with old comb and no bees(he had never put bees in them--had gotten them from someone else). There are also several old supers with old frames containing undrawn foundation. I don't see any wax moths, but am not experienced enough to tell for sure. My question is how safe is it for me to keep the old hives and supers without being worried about AFB or other problems? thanks in advance for any advice.

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I generally don't worry about such stuff very much. If I did have significant concern I would likely toss and burn the old frames and scorch the interior of the wood wares with a cutting torch rig. the other option would be to take the stuff to the irradiation chamber they have in North Carolina (or so I am told by iddee) and have the stuff irradiate.

3. LilWilli

LilWilli New Member

I am still learning from these guys(tecumseh and Iddee), but I put a great amount of creedance in their words. I have learned the hard way that repairing the old stuff just is just not worth your time, and you still only end up with "used" pieces.....Just my 2 cents :hi: