Cabbage from the garden

Discussion in 'General Gardening' started by crazy8days, Jul 15, 2012.

1. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Red Cabbage 002.JPG Red Cabbage 003.JPG My son made a Chinese dish with the red cabbage. It was so good! Still have a head in the garden. kraut 2012 003.JPG kraut 2012 006.JPG I just picked these today. Using the watermelon to show the size. Have 30 pounds of slaw cut up to make sauer kraut.

2. Omie

Omie New Member

Wonderful! It's amazing how just one cabbage head will yield such a huge bowl of sliced cabbage, isn't it?
    I'm growing red cabbage right now in our garden. Last year I made many wonderful mexican style cole slaw dishes with our red cabbage, here's a picture of one cole slaw I made from our garden cabbage:
    2_mexican-cabbage-salad.jpg

It had the usual cole slaw dressing plus vinaigrette, added black beans, corn, lots of fresh cilantro, red peppers, onions (including their scallion tops), and chipotle sauce.
    I love that cabbage will stay fresh for a LONG time in the fridge uncut, in a plastic supermarket bag, until I'm ready to use it.

3. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I didn't plant any cabbage in the garden this year. But if there's a sale down at the store, I'll sure be making some more kraut.

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Awwe C'mon, now I'm craving salad! :thumbsup:

5. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Would you share that recipe? Sounds really yummy!

6. Omie

Omie New Member

Well I just take a half of a large head of red cabbage and slice it thin, cut the long strands a bit, and add:
    can or two of black beans, rinsed & drained
    can of two of corn drained (i like the tender white corn)
    1 medium chopped onion
    about 2 cups chopped fresh cilantro (important flavor)
    1 large diced red pepper
    & lots of fresh ground black pepper

then I mix up a dressing with the following ingredients (sorry i just do it without actually measuring):
    Miracle Whip
    some mustard,
    some wine vinegar
    a little lemon juice
    a few tablespoons sugar
    and some chipotle hot sauce (adds a smoky flavor)

Add the dressing a little at a time while mixing- you don't want the cole slaw to be sopping in dressing. You can always use any extra dressing on salads or sandwiches.

Chill everything in the fridge til nice and cold. Always stir before serving. Lasts several days in the fridge.
    A half head of cabbage produces a really big bowl of slaw, so don't slice up the whole head to begin with.

7. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Thank you very much! Too bad it is almost 10pm. Love to make it!