Caffeine

Discussion in 'The Lighter Side...PG-13' started by Hobie, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Hobie

Hobie New Member

This is a true, first-hand story. Happened to me last week.

We were in San Antonio, for my step-son's graduation from Air Force basic training. He had some time to spend with us around base and in the town. Apparently after basic, all an airman wants to do is eat!

Anyway, at one point we were in a store so he could get his hourly snack, and he was looking at the shelves of Power Bars and the like. He commented, "Wow! Not sure if I want to get this one... It has 'Oh My God' caffeine!" I said, "Well, some of those energy bars do have a lot of caffeine, but that's an unusual marketing strategy!" I walked over to have a look.

In big letters, the bar boasted it had zero milligrams of caffeine. (0mg)

2. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Hope you enjoyed San Antonio. It's one of our favorite places.

Walt

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Totally LOVE the riverwalk.............

4. Hobie

Hobie New Member

The Riverwalk was beautiful! Would have appreciated it more had it not been for the AA convention of 60,000 people that was there at the same time. Largest convention in San Antonio, they said. Just too many darn people in one place for me. I could not wait to get back to peace and quiet and minimal humanity. Although I must admit that, typical to the South, all those people were polite and friendly, even the ones who's toes you just accidentally stepped on in a crowd.

Funny, I don't mind being around 60,000 honeybees... :lol:

5. Charles

Charles New Member

That's cause you always know where you stand with them, if you do something wrong they'll be the first to let you know about it ;-)

6. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I have a son that just joined the marines. That thinks a lot like your step son. Sometimes I wonder about the boy. But then I get thinking that he may be better off seeing the world as they do.

7. Redcrane

Redcrane New Member

Rat, I spent 27 yrs in the Marines. Joined fresh off the farm & diden't know anything about life & painfully shy. Got over that quick! The Marines will grow him up real fast. If he gets to Camp Lejeune, have him contact me thru this forum & I'll see that he get to hunt & fish while here.

8. riverrat

riverrat New Member

thanks red. I will let him know. he ships out dec 6th for san diego then from there I am unsure. Going in to be a helicopter mechanic. He has mentioned the east coast or okinawa. He did say they was moving a lot of marines to guam from okinawa so he may end up there.

9. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

I love San Antonio too. I felt like I was in one of the safest cities. Everywhere you looked there was a policeman, sheriff, security guard or park ranger. Has anyone ever eat at Shilo's delicatessen? It sets above Rio Rio on the Riverwalk. That place was a surprise. The food was good ole German, stick to your ribs, fabulous feasting. It's owned by the same people that own Rio Rio as well.
    Hobie-did you visit the Alamo? Some people I have talked to pooh pooed the Alamo, but I just loved it.

10. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I did visit the Alamo. I did not go inside, however, since the line was waaay long. (If we'd known, we would have gone the day before, in the rain!) Walked the grounds and saw the other buildings and displays. It was fascinating... but it drove home the fact that I never learned much about the Alamo in school. Shame on our education system, there.

11. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Hobie- the newer movie, The Alamo, is pretty accurate. It's the one with Billy Bob Thornton as Davy Crockett. Unless you are familiar with the story of the Alamo, you might miss this details in the movie. Inside, there were more artifacts, like a fancy vest that Crockett had worn.

12. bamabww

bamabww New Member

We loved San Antonio and agree, we felt really safe there. We didn't even rent a car, had a shuttle from the airport and rode the trolley everywhere else. Really enjoyed the Alamo and we did the Missions tour as well.

Wish we had know Max Lucado's church was in San Antonio when we were there. I really enjoy his method of explaining the Bible.