Campbells Honey video, family of beekeepers, this is comedy

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by BobbyC, Sep 5, 2010.

1. BobbyC

BobbyC New Member

Hello bee lovers,

I've been reading your posts for a while now, but I've never posted before... My name is Rob Campbell. I share an apiary with my family, and when you watch the video you'll see we're real close...

I'm the third son of a veteran beekeeper, Hugh Campbell in Warkworth Ontario. He's been a honey producer for almost thirty years. Dad writes a blog called Campbells Honey about his life as beekeeper, and he gets lots of praise as its real informative.

Anyway I thought I'd share this video here to lighten things up and give you all some chuckles. Its pretty insightful and shows our harvest process. In the video you can see we already have all the full honey supers pried off the hives, and now we're getting ready to use the bee blower to blow the remaining bees out, before we load the heavy boxes on the truck. As you can see there's quite a bit of honey here - this was taken a few weeks ago during August harvest, and the White Clover honey harvest of 2010 was bountiful at Campbell's. Here's my Dad and my older brother Pete, and myself and our hired man in a beeyard taking off honey.

[youtube:3mvhuyqh]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4P3RAaCSIQ[/youtube:3mvhuyqh]

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Re: Campbells Honey video, family of beekeepers, this is com

First, Welcome to the forum. Glad you joined. Hope to see many more posts.

Nice video, but I would like to see the blower working. It looks like a lot of bees on the supers. I can't help but wonder how and where you blow them.

3. Charles

Charles New Member

Welcome to the board BobbyC. That was a great video, looks like you got away from Pete before he took out the camera :lol:

Your dads got a great blog, there's lots of good info there! Thanks for the share.

How many hives do you guys keep?

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I have reviewed a couple of your videos and they are excellent. Thanks for sharing.

5. BobbyC

BobbyC New Member

Thanks for the kind words guys.
    Campbells Honey has about 1200 hives in total I reckon. My Dad has almost four hundred colonies, and my brother Peter has twice as many. Pete's target for summer 2010 was 100 barrels of honey. I'm not sure how close he is... I'm going back to the farm tomorrow to help take off the last supers of the second crop. There is no third crop in Ontario, not usually, not at Campbells. Now the bees make honey for themselves, and the hives get wrapped in tar paper in October and its over for the year.

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the video.

I also would like to see more video of your Dad blowing all of those bees off of the supers, that must be one massive cloud of bees in the yard.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

not certain how they might do such a thing in Canada but when I used a blower (long ago in a galaxy far away) we had a stand with a small bit of canvas attached and you set the stand directly in front of the hive, blow the bees downward and the bees marched right back in the front door. actually the blowing part didn't put a lot of bees in the air.

I did wonder Bobby why you pulled all those boxes of honey prior to starting the blower?