Can I feed my bees to much

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by edric, May 31, 2014.

1. edric

edric New Member

I installed my nuc the 29th, I have been giving them half a pint of sugar water twice a day, until they draw the first box out, is that too much, thanks, Ed

Attached Files:

2. JLeasure

JLeasure New Member

I feed mine about a quart a day they will stop taking it when the flow is on feed until they dont take it

3. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Yes they should be talking down the syrup to build comb and feed brood. If they are also filling the comb with syrup water then you may be feeding to much. but as mentioned they will quite the syrup when a good flow is on.

4. edric

edric New Member

Thanks a bunch, Ed

5. edric

edric New Member

​Hi all, I opened my hive today and took a couple frames out, still at least 3 frames blank, maybe four, what is the least amount of time it would take a healthy nuc, to draw out 70 or 80% of the bottom box and be ready for the next 10 frame box to be added, thanks, Ed

6. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

The colony will only expand at the rate of the increase in bee population. It takes 3 weeks from a egg being laid to the emergence of the bee. Every frame of brood will produce bees to cover 2 frames. capped brood will hatch the next 12 days and the eggs and open larva the following 9 days. up until the queen reaches full laying potential the hive will only care for brood in frames that are 2 or 3 than the frames the bees cover, 6 frames covered with bees they will have brood in 3 or 4 frames. using this information you can calculate the growth and need of the colony in advance.

7. edric

edric New Member

Thanks again, Ed