Can I swap hive positions in the middle of winter, one strong, one weak?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by 100 TD, Jul 10, 2012.

1. 100 TD

100 TD New Member

History (Australia so reverse weather at the moment)
    My main hive was very quiet in the autumn, just kept up, 8 frames of honey in top box and probably a couple of brood in the bottom, went very quiet for a long time, ended up requeening itself in May I think, fortunately queen mated and colony is still bringing in pollen and has about 3 half frames of brood in top box amongst honey(no excluder). Current temps are 28F to 54F. Have another single 8 frame near it, (needs to bet cut down to a nuc) very little anything in it, have given it some honey but it doesn't appear to be bringing in any honey or pollen, queen not laying, low hive numbers. Can I swap hive positions, foragers from main hive will fill weak hive with honey and pollen and get the queen cracking? Nurse bees in main hive will keep brood and queen warm?
    I am concerned this could jeperdise both hives, I have thought about trying to give the weak hive a frame of brood and nurse bees, but I don't want to accidently miss the queen and transfer her(unmarked).
    I realise I could just leave them and get the main hive thru the winter and loose the small hive, but need to ask the question!

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

It's a gamble I would not take. It may well cost you both hives If the weak hive queen isn't laying at all, I would dispose of her and combine. Make a split in the spring.