Can you harvest royal jelly?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by rw02kr43, Mar 29, 2013.

1. rw02kr43

rw02kr43 New Member

My wife asked me this morning if it's possible to harvest royal jelly. And if so, how is it done and wouldn't that hurt the hive at all?

Thanks
    Jason

2. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Yes, and it is just another hive product it exploit the hive for. it will get you good at grafting also.
    graphed larva in queen cups and place them in a starter colony or cell builder colony. in 24 to 48 hr the cells, if the bees excepted the larva will of placed in the cup for the young larva copious amounts of royal jelly. Remove the frames and dispose of the larva and scoop or suck the royal jelly out of the cells.
    Read up on queen rearing to produce well fed queen cells that the royal jelly can be harvested from.

3. Omie

Omie Active Member

Most commercially sold products in the U.S. that advertise royal jelly as an ingredient, whether for beauty or consumtion purposes, buy their royal jelly relatively cheaply from Chinese producers. I've read about the factory conditions of mass royal jelly 'manufacturers' in China. It's definitely got the creepy factor going. Even the products I've seen in health food stores don't 'usually' state exactly where their royal jelly comes from. God knows how pure or unpure it is, or even if it's real. I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole, ....BUT if I was to want royal jelly I'd definitely want to obtain it from a U.S. beekeeper where I knew exactly where it was coming from. :)
    Could be a good market for those of us who are enterprising! It's an incredibly expensive and labor intensive substance, pound for pound. There is a customer base even for the highest price RJ, if it is proven to be fresh and pure. Not sure I'd want to be doing away with hundreds of queen larvae on a routine basis myself, but whatever...I'm pro choice. =8-o ;)
    How is fresh RJ kept from spoiling, or kept fresh, and for how long can it be stored under what conditions?