Can you pack honey in checked- in baggage?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by srvfantexasflood, Dec 9, 2013.

1. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood Member

Does anyone have any experience with packing bottles of honey in checked-in luggage for an international flight? I feel confident that wrapping in bubble wrap and then putting the bottle into a ziploc freezer bag would protect the bottle and luggage. My concern is TSA inspectors finding the bottle, not knowing what it is, and then throwing the honey away or causing a preventable delay. I plan to send some 1# Muth bottles with cork stoppers and shrink wrapped plastic sleeves. I don't have any labels on my bottles and don't have time to get any. Does anyone have any tips or suggests for me?
    We have grown quite fond of a Japanese exchange student. She returns home on December 20th.

2. blueblood

blueblood New Member

You have to put it in your checked luggage because of the 3oz carry on limit. I took a 16oz bottle to Ef when I flew to Israel this summer. I had absolutely not problems and I was in one of the more rigid areas because of the region. I would just print off a generic address label or put a piece of tape on the bottle with a description of its contents. If they ask about it they can test for explosives if they are that curious. I brought some rocks back from Israel and I was pulled aside by TSA in New York. I was about to mess my pants, :shock:. They swabbed the rocks for explosives.

3. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

i haven't traveled internationally, but like dave, put a label on your honey jar, and put it in a ziploc bag, a permanent sticky type label and not handwritten.....in the usa, some tsa agents, can get really pi$$y about the contents.....the muth jars, that's a hard one.....these jars don't allow much of a permanent label, so tie something handmade around the neck of the jar.

dave, about the rocks.......:lol:
    been there done that in the usa........luggage with rocks in it.....swabbing and such.......if you want a delay put rocks AND unmarked jars of honey in your checked luggage.....:lol:

4. Lburou

Lburou Member

You folks sure have a hard life in that fast lane............... ;)