Candle Making 101

Discussion in 'Products of the Hive' started by onehorse, Jan 28, 2010.

1. onehorse

onehorse New Member

I don't know why, but the book that they send along with the BetterBee candle making kit recommends paraffin for making candles and all the examples in the book, except for the beeswax comb candles, are made from paraffin. The book recommends stearin to harden the wax and to make a longer burning candle. Do you use stearin with beeswax also? Does anyone have a book that they highly recommend for beeswax candle making and has the tips and tricks to working with beeswax?

2. KiwiMana

KiwiMana New Member

They probably recommend paraffin as its cheaper and easier to get hold of. We have made a few candles with our excess Bees Wax and they work well.

See ya...Gary

3. fatbeeman

fatbeeman New Member

I have used both yrs ago the paraffin and pure bees wax. now don't do either make foundations with extra wax. bees wax will smoke less. both will release from molds about same. you could use mold release too.
    Don

4. aromaworks

aromaworks New Member

I use corn and soy oil, or "sterile acid", but we had a different? set up for molds. we used the plastic molds with the wick already in. oh I miss the good ol days at Yeoman and Wood bury making Vegemite candles :)