Candle making?

Discussion in 'Products of the Hive' started by brooksbeefarm, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

I finally got my hands on some wax and got to use the molds I got for Christmas.

candles.jpg
    One practically begged me to light it. :D

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Nice colour to the wax Keith. :thumbsup:

3. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

Here's the candle 4 hours into the burn
    4 hours burn time.jpg

4. Omie

Omie New Member

Very pretty. Folks sure love skep shaped candles.

(Now take your vitamins!)

5. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I'm ashamed to admit it but i haven't poured any candles yet:roll:. I got all hepped up and bought all the molds, wicks,mold spray, and they are still in a box in my den.I do plan to pour some before the farmers market starts up. I'm really getting tired of the wife saying, you really needed that stuff didn't you. She'll be sorry she said that when the money starts pouring in from my beeswax products, and i tell her she doesn't know her beeswax.:lol: Jack

6. jim314

jim314 New Member

Those are a nice color. Much prettier than my wax turned out. Mine was just sort of off white. I guess that was because it was mostly cappings.

7. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Still haven't poured any candles yet,:roll: but i'm going to as soon as i make 20 deeps, 30 med. supers, 15 solid bottom boards, 15 sbb, and 20 lids. Then i have to wire and put foundation (wax of course:grin:) in all of them. I was trying to clean my shop up and counted 6 five gal. buckets of cappings:shock:, what have you found is the best way to melt them, Do you just put the cappings in the crockpot and melt them slow, add water? i had been putting them i a deep fryer bringing them to a boil and strain it through a large coffee strainer till Omie set me straight, telling me i could burn my shop down that way.:eek: Jack

8. Marbees

Marbees New Member

Yes I did it, and loved every minute of it. Ordered some more molds from Mann Lake, and will be making some of my own :wink:

No 1.jpg No 2.jpg No 3.jpg No 4.jpg No 5.jpg No 6.jpg No 7.jpg No 8.jpg

Love those milk filters, wax comes out clean and candles burn long time, and the scent is...... heavenly :smile:
    All used filters are saved to be used as a fire starters in the wood stove at the cabin :thumbsup:

9. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Finally had accumulated enough wax to try some candles this year. Thanks to the information gained from this thread, they all came out pretty good.

Mulsum and candles.jpg

Of course, the mulsum is not a candle. :wink:

Walt

10. Jay Jermo

Jay Jermo New Member

I couldn't agree more. The candle market as a real money maker. As long as you have a stove to melt wax and a few molds, you can get started for next to nothing. We sell 1 foot pillar candles for $40 each.
    Jay www.heyhoney.biz