Candle Mold release

Discussion in 'Products of the Hive' started by Hobie, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I'm just starting to get things together for my first foray into candle making. I notice that the Brushy Mtn mold release is a "3% silicone spray." I have some other silicone spray on my shelf right now... can I use that (successfully), or is mold release something special?

(Using an 8-cavity metal mold for 10" tapers.)

Also, what do I use to plug the wick holes to keep the molten wax from running out? Preferably something readily available...

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Any silicone should work, but I would try it on one or two cavities before filling them all.

The wick should be large enough to plug the hole in the mold.

3. aromaworks

aromaworks New Member

Candle mold release is one of the handiest products for candle makers to have in their arsenal of supplies. This simple product can sometimes mean the difference between a simple step in the candle making process and a very frustrating experience.

Luxury Candles

4. Hobie

Hobie New Member

The man who taught my first class says he uses honey as a mold release when he makes samples... small blocks of wax he makes in an old muffin tin. Do you think that would that work, or perhaps not because of the different shape?

5. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Another question: With a taper mold, do you just spray the mold release down the cavity? Is it applied lightly or heavily? Do you wipe it around with (?) something before pouring the wax?

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I just give a quick spray down the cavity, no need to wipe it around or anything.

7. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Thanks! Can you tell, I'm having trouble getting up the nerve to actually MAKE a candle or two?

Well, that and the weather has been phenomenally good, so I have been outdoors every minute possible.

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Be sure to show us the results of your first endevour! :thumbsup:

9. aromaworks

aromaworks New Member

We have had candles stuck in a mold a few times. Daughter got a candle making kit for Christmas. When put in the freezer the wax should shrink more than the mold. Take the mold out and tap it on the counter. It should drop right out.

10. Isleño

Isleño New Member

A product for the kitchen called PAM is excellent as candle releaser.
    Isleño