Candlemaking

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Marbees, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Marbees

Marbees Member

My candlemaking stuff is here, hope to make some candles before spring comes:grin:

Candlemaking.jpg

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

You are gonna have fun! :thumbsup:
    I envy you the Presto Pot, I priced one out but the shipping is the same price as the pot! :shock: It would sure make things easier though. :roll:

3. Marbees

Marbees Member

Presto pot was a Christmas present from my brother who just came back from Florida, and I took advantage of free shipping from Mann Lake, gave them his address in Florida.:grin:
    No tax or duty paid, he spent two weeks in states...:wink:

4. pturley

pturley New Member

A lady that works part-time with me used to make scented votives some time ago, but hasn't worked with them in years. She found out I was playing around with candles and literally gave me all of her old molds! She said as recently as a month ago she was considering throwing them out!

I now have 48 votive cup molds, several bags of votive wicks and a large number of cooling trivets.

I may need to crack into my "private reserve" of extracted honey to give her a quart or two in thanks... ...now I need more wax!

5. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Paul test the wicks to make sure they work with bees wax and burn properly.
    Marbees great starter kit so everything was sent to Florida and your brother brought it all up or just the pot? dose Mann Lake drill and tap the hole in the pot so you only need to install the spigot before shipping for the drain or do you.

6. Marbees

Marbees Member

Presto pot was purchased by my brother in Walmart, down in Hallandale.
    Spigot and JB weld I got here, going to install it one of these days.
    Flexi molds are from Mann Lake, delivered to Florida, brought here by my brother.
    Wondering if Presto pot is not approved for use in the White North?:shock:
    No Walmart or Target store carries this pot anywhere in Canada:confused:

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

You're right Marbees, they are not carried up here (don't know why) but there is someone in Ontario (I think) that brings them up and distributes them via internet.

8. pturley

pturley New Member

Great tip, thank you. The wicks are NOT compatible with beeswax. The burned for a short while, then sputtered out slowly.

9. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Don't thank me thank Perry he found out the hard way a little while ago and posted his frustration. Bees wax burns slower than parafin so a larger wick is needed so the wick will last long enough to burn the wax pool