Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried a horizontal Langstroth hive this year and it has worked well so far. However, I'm wondering if anyone has experience with putting a candy board in a horizontal hive? How would that even work, if it's even possible? I've built candy boards for the tops of my vertical Langstroth hives, but this one has me stumped.
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
3,599 Posts
I think you will be inventing this as you go along Tim. All my hives are langs, and I just make fondant and put it on top of the frames under the inner cover (which I flip so it is deep side down)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I tried a horizontal Langstroth hive this year and it has worked well so far. However, I'm wondering if anyone has experience with putting a candy board in a horizontal hive? How would that even work, if it's even possible? I've built candy boards for the tops of my vertical Langstroth hives, but this one has me stumped.
Thanks!
I built my first horizontal hive last year. I had the same concerns but what I did was to make a double wide Deep Frame with hinges and a magnetic latch at top and put 1/4 inch screen on front of it. I made some sugar rounds which I poured into a muffin top pan and let them cure then I put about 4 or 5 per frame. It worked very well. However, in the spring I had put some pollen patties in the frames with the sugar and the queen decided it was a great place to lay her eggs. Other than that It worked out great.....

·
Registered
23 Posts

I left bee space between the cover boards and the top of the frames so I can apply pollen patties or sugar feed on top of the frames with brood.
I put a syrup feeder in the back next to the follower board.

A frame feeder will work too but it needs to be as close to the brood as possible.

·
Super Moderator
3,599 Posts

I left bee space between the cover boards and the top of the frames so I can apply pollen patties or sugar feed on top of the frames with brood.
I put a syrup feeder in the back next to the follower board.

A frame feeder will work too but it needs to be as close to the brood as possible.
Very nice hive. Is it a dual or a single queen hive?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks!
Hang it from a frame/bar. I did this in a top bar hive with hardware cloth. Pressed dampened sugar on to it and let it harden.

Reactions: Kentucky_Tim

·
Registered
23 Posts
Very nice hive. Is it a dual or a single queen hive?
It can be configured either way, I put the entrance on the east end.

I built the box from 2x material, with 2" of foam in a telescopic cover for insulation properties.

It's kind of a pain in the ass because it can't be manipulated like a normal box so it's not well suited for production, but for a garden hive it is excellent.

I'm going to try to raise queens next year and it won't be much help for that, I will probably build some stackable NUCs to setup on divided 10 frame gear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts