candy boards what now

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by reidi_tim, Dec 1, 2012.

1. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

Today I finished the hive stands and since the weather was so nice I thought I'd have a look in the hives. To my disbelief the bees where bringing in pollen and lots of it. The candy boards that I put on in Oct. when I thought the weather had changed to winter, well at best they have went through about a third of the candy, enough so that the pollen patties are exposed. When I put the candy boards on I explained to the bees that was their " insurance food source " :grin: as usual they didn't listen. Dad made me another set of candy board frames. Do I go ahead and make them up and put them on top of the candy boards, or do I wait till they finish off the boards they have and then swap them out for new ones :confused:

Attached Files:

2. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Swap them out when the weather is warm You can top up the partial consumed ones and reinstall them later on.

3. blueblood

blueblood New Member

It's been warm up here in Indy too, 61 degrees. RDewhurst and I bumped into each other at Walmart yesterday and were talking about the bees bringing in pollen this late in the season. We decided it was the dandelions that are popping back up. Say Howdy to my hometown down there in Evanstucky!

Tim, I am going to make sugar bricks out of the same recipe as the candy boards and throw them in the candy boards as the voids are made. I plan on using my wife's baking pans (shhhhh). Placing wax paper lining in the pan and making sure the height does not exceed two inches. This way, I don't have to disturb the seals on the hive too bad, just off with the telescoping cover, in with the brick and back on with the cover. It's quick and very little exposure to the hive.

4. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

Dave do you still put pollen patties in the bricks? My mentor ran me thru the mill for putting the candy boards on so early and not feeding 2:1 with the entrance feeders. In my defense this has been a strange year weather wise a few days ago the temps where 30 to 50 which is a little hi but close to normal this week we are looking at 36 to 73. What a great weather year for a first time keep :razz:

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Nope, I used a 7 inch piece of 2x4 and placed it in the board before pouring sugar in to mold a spot for later pollen placement. I will put the pollen in around February when they are starting to think about brood rearing... No kidding, I turned on the A/C in my patrol car today...

6. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

tim,
    nice pix, have a question, what is in your top deeps for honey stores?

"My mentor ran me thru the mill for putting the candy boards on so early and not feeding 2:1 with the entrance feeders. In my defense this has been a strange year weather wise a few days ago the temps where 30 to 50 which is a little hi but close to normal this week we are looking at 36 to 73".

:lol:....... mentors....are a good thing. btw, it has been a strange weather year for all of us i think in the north country. unseasonably warm temperatures, and we are not getting the moisture (snow) that we need for spring, severe drought.

apis recommended: "Swap them out when the weather is warm You can top up the partial consumed ones and reinstall them later on."

this or wait until the candy board is down to a 1/4 or less of what i see in your pix, another month, on a warmer sunny day. candy boards can be quickly slipped on a hive at 40 degree temps (or a little less, but not below 35). i say this tentatively not knowing what's in your top deeps?

7. Minz

Minz Member

Looks like the cluster (and the sugar is gone) just on one side, reverse it (180 rotation) and put her back on. I messed up last year in spring and added a super between the candy and the brood and ended up losing two hives. Bummer with about 10 lbs on sugar on them and they starved to death, they would not move that far to food.

8. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

The deeps where an issue, they had cleared the honey out of the deeps during the dearth. Two of the hives had a full ten frame shallow filled with honey. The third hive went queen less for a bit and that have put away a lot of honey in that time frame, so hive 3 ended up with two deeps at 50 lbs each. The other two where light maybe 20 lbs each box. The orginal plan was to take them down to a single deep, when the stars where aligned , ( the weather was good enough to open them up ) I opened them up and they had put away honey in more then ten frames between the two deeps. They are light on reserves still so we will see what happens.