candy for food

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by herblover, Nov 20, 2011.

1. herblover

herblover New Member

I was thinking and curious. Does anybody think that the bees would enjoy some candy canes? I always have leftovers or broken ones. I remember a peppermint stick in the queen cage from my last package order. I dont want to toss them if the bees would eat them. Thank you for input.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

From posts on various forums, people say candy canes contain corn starch, which is NOT good for the bees.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

years ago we fed civil defense candy (your basic rock candy) using empty shells. we got it in those large tin cans and simply poured it on top of the hive. worked just fine. the bees loved the stuff.

my take.... a number of the prohibition in regards to not feeding this or that often pertains more to bees that can not fly due to long periods of winter clustering and the effects of impurities on their gut and their inability to relieve themselves. for example... there is quite common reference to not feeding molasses but I see bees pick it up here with no evidence of any ill side effect. I would not however encourage folks to feed molasses anywhere in the northern states.

4. BRASWELL

BRASWELL New Member

how about brewers yeast this time of year.

5. Jacobs

Jacobs New Member

I haven't put any out to see if they are interested. A few weeks ago, they were not. I am still seeing natural pollen coming into most of my hives, and if there is enough of that available, the bees ignore the brewers yeast. Last year in late January onward until Red Maple bloom, my bees loved the yeast and that along with 1:1 sugar water in external jar feeders helped encourage late winter/early spring brood rearing.

6. BRASWELL

BRASWELL New Member

when will you take orders for spring bees? RB

7. Zulu

Zulu Member

Candy canes are the subject of a long running joke on another forum, ie the peppermint.....vis a vie Trachael mites.

I too am still seeing my bees working most days, bringing in pollen of some sort, I am also feeding dry sugar on the top of two smaller hives, but as they work it from below , not sure how it is going yet.

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hey Zulu:

How are you feeding the dry sugar?
    Are you using Bjorn's method with the paper towel, damped, over the inner cover hole, or are you using the "Mountaincamp" method, newspaper right on the top bars?
    I was thinking of trying the paper towel method using an 1 1/2" spacer.

9. Zulu

Zulu Member

Yes. Mikes method from Bjorne bee, Took a wet paper towel folded it once and poured a 2 lb bag directly on the inner cover. Then covered with a super and top cover. As I still had a few ants around when i did it, I made a cinnamon barrier around the top of the inner cover before I put the super down. Seems to have worked well.