Canola?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by wyvern, Apr 12, 2013.

1. wyvern

wyvern New Member

I have a large field of canola blooming right now about a 1/2 mile from my three small hives. Will the canola honey crystallize in the spring and summer? i want them to build up and have stores for the summer dearth. Just wondering if it will be usable for them.

2. Ray

Ray Member

Great link, PerryBee:thumbsup:

3. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Some further info

Non-GM Oil Seed Rape is widely grown in the UK as a Spring flowering crop.
    Quite a few beeks take hives to the crop and put them at the field margins.
    The bees build up quickly and swarming can be a problem.
    In the right conditions, a good honey crop is possible.
    Because the honey granulates readily it is not suitable as comb food source for the bees.
    After (early) extraction, the honey is often left to granulate in pails. It sets like a brick.
    The set honey can be warmed to re-liquify. This liquified honey is much slower to granulate and can be jarred or blended.

Anecdotal chat says that the bees are nasty when back from the OSR and the sting carries extra wallop.

The farmers are said to like bees on the crop...... better, more even heavier set and sharper cut off to crop set.

Mustard (Ajaz in India) is related to OSR.

4. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Perry, Where do you find the time to be so active on this forum and still find the time to keep your finger on the pulse of so many other interesting sites? :thumbsup:

5. larry tate

larry tate New Member

Thanks so much Perry! Just last night we got a call wanting us to move hives to 100 acres of blooming Canola. What are any thoughts on using for winter feed for bees?

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

From what I have been able to determine is honey bees love Canola. "Explode" is the term i have read more than once. Given it's propensity to set up so quickly though, I would question its suitability as a winter source of feed. Would the bees be able to utilize it well?
    IMHO, I would consider moving them into Canola, have them grow (and pocket the pollination fees) and then move them to a different area where they could be left to harvest winter stores more suitable for their own needs.

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Honey has been granulating for eons.
    Bees have been thriving for eons.

That leads me to believe the bees either thrive on granulated honey or have a means to liquefy it. I would think canola honey would be fine for wintering in NC, but have no actual experience with it.

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Good point Iddee. It seems to me that I have read that honey that granulates quickly (even Goldenrod) is not the best for overwintering bees on?

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

And I have read of many, many beeks who harvest in July and leave the fall honey for wintering the bees.

10. wyvern

wyvern New Member

I think I will harvest in July, if there is any left, like Idee said and hope for the best.

11. Zulu

Zulu Member

They survive on sugar boards, fondant,and even granulated sugar, so why not solid honey they made??

12. wyvern

wyvern New Member

I really don't figure there will be enough to worry with in July. Last year they bearly had enough to make it through the winter. Unless there is a great year, I just want them to continue to survive! This is their third year.

13. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Don't be such a "minimalist". Set your hopes high, but be happy with whatever you get. :razz:

14. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"It seems to me that I have read that honey that granulates quickly (even Goldenrod) is not the best for overwintering bees on?"

perry goldenrod is what my bees primarily winter on....:grin:

15. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

the bees will uncap and suck the sugars that have stayed liquid and only suck and dissolve the granules that are left if needed for food. At times the bees hall them out of the hive like they will granulated sugar when there is a flow on.