Can't believe what 1 sting did to me...

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Eddy Honey, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I got tagged on the head today. I needed to add a box to my 2nd stongest hive as a; their boxes were fully drawn and filled with brood/nectar/pollen. Now there's 2 deeps and 3 mediums on that stack.

Anyway I figured I could do it while it was cool this morning (60) and just slip the box on top.
    One tagged me on the head and within minutes my hands and feet itched like mad.
    Within 20 minutes my palms were red and within 1/2 hour I had hives at every joint on my body, under my arms, my neck and face, hands and back.

I've been stung before; 2 days ago on the hand and 3 weeks ago on the temple with no reaction at all.

Wife insisted I go to the ER and they gave me Steroids,Bedadryl, and Pepsid. They insisted on the benadryl even though I told them that stuff makes my heart race so sure enough my heart rate went from 62 to in the 80's the instant she administered the IV lol. I could tell she was worried so I told her, "at least I'm in a hospital" to try and put her at ease.

Anyway I'm , all cleared up now feeling better just tired from the medicine and I have a script for steroids.
    I think I could have taken a benadryl here and slept it off but the wife wasn't having any parts of it. My breathing was never affected.

Rain for the next few days so me and the bees will rest awhile. I've got lots of bee boxes to assemble!

2. jim314

jim314 New Member

That's too bad, glad you're ok. Do you keep an epi-pen around just in case you or someone else needs it? I've never had an adverse reaction to a sting, just some swelling, but I keep an epi-pen handy.
    Jim

3. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I agree. You should discuss this with your doctor. You can't be too prepared. You should get a prescription for the epi and keep it with your bee stuff. It can be very serious.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

WOW!! that was a heck of a sting.

Glad you are alright.

I vote for seeing the doctor also and asking about an epi pen.

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Eddy, glad you listened to your wife. Glad that it "ended" okay.
    An allergic reaction to stings NEVER happens on the first sting, but it can appear any time after that, totally unexpected, even after years of getting stung. Allergies are still not fully understood. What and when it triggers them is still a mystery.
    Be very cautious and follow the advice of your fellow beeks above, about the epi-pen and see your doctor about getting a series of de-sensitization shots. It takes about two years but does the trick. Three of my children had to undergo the process and have been stung after it was completed with no more than a normal reaction.
    Don't take this lightly, it is a very serious isssue. :|

6. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

First glad your ok, ... the Bedadryl should not make your hear race. Besides it being an Antihistime it is also a CNS depressant. (its the main drug in most over the counter sleep aids) . Resting Heart rate of an adult male is 60-80 bpm , the fact your went in to the 80's is just a normal reaction to the anixity thinking about what has happened or what may happen ( even though I told them that stuff makes my heart race ).. Now With EPI yes your heart will race and cpuld go up to 140bpm that is why you MUST ALWAYS go to the ER after yoou use an EPI pen.

If anyone need to ever use an EPI pen on yourself or someone else 4 very inportant things...
    1) never hold it with your Thumb on the top where the safty cap was.. ( Reason is if it is upside down the neddle will go throught your thumb)
    2) When you press it into the skin hold it there for a full slow 10 second count. anything shorter the full amount may not me administered.
    3) CALL 911 ASAP ... and make sure the person is taken to the ER .. (IN AN AMBULANCE) monitor the heart & Airway..
    4) An adult pen can not be used on a child... VERY IMPORTANT... The child dose(0.01mg/kg max of 0.3mg ) is 1/2 of an adult (0.3mg)

7. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Thanks for the comments. We keep 4 current Epi pens on hand at all times, 2 child dose and 2 adult doses. Benedryl makes my hearth race. It happened before I knew it did that to me years ago when I would take it at home. It is a known adverse side effect of Benadryl that an increase heart rate or tachycardia can occurr. It does put me to sleep as I've been out cold since writing my first post. The elevated bpm only lasted for 15 minites with the IV. I'm a light-weight when it comes to meds.

Since I had compitent people around when I started to react I didn't want to use the epi-pens. My wife gave me 20 mg of her pred and a zertec in leiu of the benadryl and by time I reached the er I felt like things were leveling off. Funny thing but not we first went to a 24 hour Urgent Care Center 3 miles up the road and they said "our doctor doesn't come in till 9. It was 9:05 so we had to make a decision to wait or go to the ER 10 miles away. We went to the ER. The nurse that checked me in grew up with the nice folks where I buy all my bees and bee supplies. Feel better now...just tired like when I take Nyquil (that stuff last for 2 days with me lol...).

I told my wife I want to look into the desensitiztion shots so she can budget for that.

Thanks again.

Some Benadryl side effects are potentially serious and should be reported immediately to your healthcare provider. Although generally rare, some of these side effects may actually be fairly common. These include, but are not limited to:
    • Low blood pressure (hypotension)
    • Heart palpitations
    • A rapid heart rate (tachycardia)
    • An irregular heartbeat
    • Anemia
    • Low blood platelets
    • Confusion
    • Blurred vision or double vision
    • Loss of balance, especially if accompanied by ringing of the ears (tinnitus) or hearing loss
    • Seizures
    • Difficulty passing urine
    • Hallucinations or delirium
    • Worsening of ulcers or gastroesophageal reflux disease
    • Worsening of glaucoma

8. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

FYI the loading dose of Pred in an adult is 125mg and an IV would have an onset of aprox 45min the PO (mouth dose) would take longer... the zertec most times has pseudoephedrine wich will also increase the heart rate and is not as effective as benadryl...In the field the adult dose is 50mg... also FYI childrens benadryl (liquid) is a faster absorbson into the system then the pills .. just have to take the 50mg dose..

9. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

I do not have bees yet but called my doc and he gave me the script for the epipen got two .3mg and a practice one. So it is interesting to find out there are adult and children doses. Is the dose based on body weight? Or can my 85 lb wife take an adult dose and my 110 lb nephew need a child dose. I take benedryl daily to combat the raised histamine from the pain meds I take, for me it makes staying awake pretty hard but i guess the same drug effect people different.

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

reidi, you would give your nephew a child's dose, and your wife something to eat more than once a week. :D :D

11. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

The child dose is 0.01 mg/kg with a max of 0.3 mg , the EPIPEN JR is 0.15mg Now for your wife in NYC she would fall under a special Category Adult under 40kg. 85lbs is about 38.5kg so her dose is the same as the child dose. But that said she would still be at the adult dose of 0.3mg. same for the 110lb nephew

12. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I was told to get the dye free Benadryl. I told the doc, "I thought dyin' was free?"

13. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

For the non-US members could I request that as well as the brand name the drug name is included.

The drug companies market world-wide the same drug under different names.

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) was discontinued in the UK more than 30 years ago (no problem --- superseded )

I have often advised a new beekeeper to take an anti-histamine before going to manipulate the bees. It can reduce the normal reaction to a sting.

14. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Yes it is ... but getting rid of the body is what cost ya...lol

15. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

it is good to have someone with medical expertise on board for these kinds of questions.

for myself I go to the doctor and the rhetoric just makes me dizzy.

16. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

I am a paramedic for over 15 yrs and an EMT 5 years prior. I will always answer any questions and give informtion and some advice.. But I am no Doctor. And you should always seek an ER for anytype of emergency. One thing that most friends ask for help is after seeing a Dr. they call me and ask me to explane what they were told in simple english . If anyone needs that help just PM me. I will always help if I can.

17. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

^^Thats how our friends and family view my wife lol^^

So since the wife is still asleep, do I need to start taking the pred? It's a new day and I'm fine!

18. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Well firist were you prescribed it in the er by the Dr.?
    If no.. then no. you should never take any drugs that were not precribed to you.. But with that said...
    This is what I would do if it was me ( not Telling you to do this ...my disclaimer)
    Do you still have Hives.. if yes take it , if no then not.

prednisone is not a fast acting drug. it needs a high loading dose (normally 125mg) then de esclating dose over 7 -10 days .. taking it for 1 or 2 days really wont help with anything.

so whats the wife do? RN?

19. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Ok medic...thanks....I feel and look fine.

Wife worked on animals.....till I stole her away so we could start a family!

She said if the pred doesn't work she'll have to put me down...

20. Zulu

Zulu Member

Sounds like your wife suggested the right course of action, but the nurse should have also listened to you..... Some people can be allergic to Benedryl.

The suggestion we heard was that you can use Claritin instead.

As I have posted elsewhere, the law is very specific on this: Epi Pen is prescription for use on ONLY the person whose prescription is on the pkg.

And while reactions can be bad at times to a sting, Epi pen should only be used if breathing is an issue. As one of the guys on our CPR course said , if he had an Epipen and someone got into trouble, he would still use it and take his chances on Good Samaritan laws protecting him.

Use other anti histamines if any reaction first, and if you are not aware Zantac with Benedryl makes it much more effective. That came from the EMT's on our course.