Can't wait for my inspections today.

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by heinleinfan, May 26, 2012.

1. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

I am REALLY looking forward to doing inspections today.

I've got a first year queen, a package queen and a still-virgin-last-time-I-checked queen, so I'm trying to keep a close watch on everyone, but I'm expecting to see some good things when I go in there today.

But, what I'm really looking forward to is my audience! Every year for this three day weekend, the little section of town I live in has "Territory Days", this street fair, music, crafts, events kind of thing going on. Sometimes as many as 140,000 people attend over the 3 days, so yeah, it's big.

And I live just a few blocks away from where all the action happens, and where tons of people drive around looking for parking, and have people walking by my house all day long. And, the community garden is even a bit closer, and people will be walking by there as well.

I just love having folks stop to watch, ask questions and be all interested in the bees!

(I am behind fences when I do this, heh, so people don't just walk all up into the open hive area.)

2. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Amen!
    Inspection time couldn't come soon enough my first year and sometimes in my 2nd year as well. Of course things have expanded quickly here so now there are 9-10 boxes instead of 2 like last year. I stagger the inspections so I get to go into a bee box on a regular basis but not the same box over and over again.

Good luck today!

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Another really good reason to have more than one hive! :mrgreen: :thumbsup:

4. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

Heh, I want to have many hives one day, but we rent and are confined to our small yard and are keeping it at two for now. But I am doing some work for a man in another town, so I get to go play with, er, inspect his bees on alternating weekends from mine now! :lol:

5. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I admire your will-power!

6. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

I love to do inspections too...Getting better at anticipating the changes I may see and of course they always surprise me at times too. I especially like it when the hives are showing improvements beyond expectations.:grin:

7. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

*rassafrassawind*

It's just way too windy right now to open the hives, seems to get the ladies all in a tizzy when I've tried in the past.

I absolutely love living here in the Springs, the weather and mountains are amazing, but I do seriously hate the wind. It's not unusual at all for us to days of 20mph sustained and 40mph gusts.

*sigh*