Capped Honey For a Package Bees

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by ndm678, May 17, 2013.

1. ndm678

ndm678 Member

I have my package coming in this weekend. I want to put in some frames of capped honey I had left over. Where do I put them? I have 2 frames of fully capped honey for each hive. I feel the outside frames (1 & 10) would be the proper location for these, but I need a second opinion. Should I scratch these frame to open them? I have other frames with sections that have capped honey, should I scratch those open those as well? Should I still put the can of sugar syrup on for feeding? I doubt they will touch it with all they honey in there.

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

well the size of the package would matter. I would NOT place these in the outmost position simply because that may create a bit of robbing but also will be outside the area when the worker's in the package can cover. let me just pretend you have two drawn comb and two combs of feed.... then I would place the two empty combs towards the center of the box and the two feed combs to the outside of these. scratching the comb lightly on the side towards what should be the center of the cluster does have some benefit (and is something I often do myself but more in making up nucs than in a package situation). it may just be my own miserly ways but yes I would allow them to finish off that can of syrup and although you do have feed on hand I would highly suggest that you continue to feed for at least a period long enough to get the hive firmly established. with two frames of feed it shouldn't take much but having something coming in at the front does somewhat saves the field force < which based on a few assumptions and bee biology should be in a steady state of decline for about 30 days.

3. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Follow Tecumseh's advice. As the queen lays in the inner combs, you can move the combs with honey out towards the sides by adding built (or in good circumstances. unbuilt) frames at the edges of the brood nest. But don't break apart the brood nest.