capping's.. separating wax from honey ... maxant Capping's Spinner

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by adamant, Jun 17, 2012.

1. adamant

adamant Member

how do u guys separate your honey from the capping's? just let it drain through the sieve? i seen maxant has a capping spinner that looks affective. i was wondering how much honey is wasted by not removing it totally?
    how much honey can be recovered using a spinner?

2. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

If you just throw away the wet cappings, it can be a lot of honey wasted. There are several ways of recovering the capping' honey (which, by the way, is considered by many to be the cream of the crop).
    Draining certainly doesn't get it all. A capping spinner on an electric-motor honey extractor is pretty good (i speak from the experience of others on this, my extractor is hand operated and doesn't do such a great job).
    Some people just wash the remaining honey so as to get clean cappings for melting down. Some spread the cappings above an internal ceiling in an empty super) so the bees can recycle the honey and then take the dry cappings for melting and use as bees wax.
    Those who use a solar extractor melt the wax and the heated honey (in my opinion, of reduced quality because of the heating) can be used as you wish- sold, given away, (diluted) fed back to the bees, diluted and used to make mead, and any other thought that crosses your mind.
    Just don't waste it. The bees and you have worked hard for it.

3. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"i seen maxant has a capping spinner that looks affective"...."how much honey can be recovered using a spinner?"

yes, they are very effective and do work. also somewhere in the forum is a thread about this...will find it and post it :grin:

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I have a capping tub (from Kelly's) that has a strainer on the bottom, after decapping 8 to 10 supers i can drain one and a half to two gal. out of it. I then take the cappings in flat trays and put them out on the picnic table for the bees to clean up. I melt the cappings down and use the wax in making up comb honey supers. Waste Not Want Not.:thumbsup: Jack

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

The guy that got me started with keeping always gave me the bottles filled with capped honey. I noticed those bottles always had a foamy/bubble head to them. I understood capped honey to be higher in nutrients...

6. bamabww

bamabww New Member

Yeah, that's what I do. I cut the cappings off into a 5 gallon bucket and use a kitchen implement I'll call a potato masher and mash all the cappings into a mush. Turn the bucket up and let the mush drain into another 5 gallon bucket through a paint strainer. It will get almost every drop of the honey if you're patient enough. I then take the drained mush cappings and spread them on a piece of cardboard for the bees to clean up. The cleaned up mush gets put in the solar melter and saved as a piece of wax for use later as Jack said above. (Thanks Jack for sharing that idea last year).:thumbsup: