Captured a swarm..now what....need advice

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by vineroost, Jun 18, 2011.

1. vineroost

vineroost New Member

We have been thinking about getting into bees and today there was a swarm in the vineyard on a plant. Quickly located a bee catching team who came over and put them in a box. (95% of them anyway) They advised to wait untill dark, put some honey in the box,tape it shut and store it in the winery(50 degrees & dark) untill Monday when we can procure the proper home. We live in western Oregon and farm Pinot Noir Grapes. There is a bee keeping store in Portland that opens at 8:00am Monday.....Now What???? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

What kind of a box are they in? cardboard?

If they were mine I would sit them where I was going to set up their hive and cut a small hole for them to fly. They will start to build new comb but that is alright. They will need to take cleansing flights (go use the bathroom).

You did not mention what type of hive you were going to set up, my suggestion would be a Lang type hive with wood frames and wax foundation. Just guessing here now since you are much further north than me but might need two deeps to get them through the winter.

For more local info ask at the bee store.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with them, let us know how they are doing also.

3. vineroost

vineroost New Member

Hey..Thanks for the info...It is not dark for another 75 mins...all are off the vine and in the box (yes, cardboard) I don't see how we can tape it shut as the flap is sagging from the weight. I didn't say which type of hive because I don't have a clue. This is sort of like having a dinner party for 50 without having any food or plates or a way to cook and the guests are already here. Can I just leave them where they are untill I get the hive?? Thanks again!!

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Yes leave them be. Too much fooling around with them will make them abscond (fly off) sometimes also.

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hi Vineroost:

Welcome to our forum. I used to live in the northwest (BC) and as G3 suggests, you will need two deeps (assuming of course that you will choose standard Langstroth equipment) for your brood chamber to overwinter.
    Spend some time here and ask questions. This is a friendly group and answers are usually answered very quickly.
    Enjoy your new hobby! :mrgreen:

6. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

It's great to be you vineroost.

I'm jealous,Pinot Noir is one of my top favorites.

The wife and I are looking into taking a trip to Oregon this fall for our anniversary,maybe we can stop in for a tasting :mrgreen:

7. vineroost

vineroost New Member

Well they are still here.. in the box.. in the vineyard. In the AM I am off to Ruhl to get needed equipment. What is a nucleus hive box?? How long can they live there?? If I buy the kit I have to put together can they hang in the nuc box for weeks? ....Or should I buy 1 complete box and put the kit together & stack it up later?? Sooo many ?? Thanks for the help.....Crackerbee,.. we have lodging here. you can check it out on VRBO...or just come around for a tasting...H

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If you buy an unassembled hive body, frames, and foundation, plus an assembled bottom, top, and inner lid, you can assemble it in a couple hours. A nuc may not last them more than a couple of weeks, or all summer. Depending on what is blooming in your area. If you can buy one complete, assembled hive, that would be the best way to start. Then you can buy additional equip. as needed, after gaining a better understanding of what is available. The folks at Ruhls can be quite helpful. Load them with questions. I'm sure they want you to succeed as much as you do. It means future business for them.

9. vineroost

vineroost New Member

Thanks so much...I feel like it is all in mongolian...I can almost get it..... but not quite. How about smoke vs sugar water spray???

10. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Pick up a catalog from them also, you can answer some of your own questions or have a better understanding of answers with a pic, and you can get a good idea of all of the different combos to choose from.

11. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

Welcome Vine. I just assembled some equipment in less then 2 hours. You have a lot of sweet clover in your area that will be coming into bloom in another month or so. I would get the 2 deeps and a couple of supers. You are out by Dundee? I have a brother in Donald and I graduated from Fox. Last summer when I was visiting I noticed a ton of bee hives so you have several BK in your area to help. Don't be afraid to pick their brain.

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Use the smoke on the bees and drink the sugar water. Use one deep only in the beginning. It will be weeks before you need the second box. Having 2 deep and 1 medium on hand won't hurt, just install them as needed, not all at once.

13. vineroost

vineroost New Member

Thanks again all!! Still so in the dark...If I bring home 1 hive w/ 10 frames (or whatever they are called) take out 4 , dump in the swarm, work the 4 back in , put on the lid, feed them??? We have a ton of blackberries about to flower, then grapes (hopefully soon)....put together 2 more boxes??? stack 'em up......????

14. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If you buy two more boxes, put them in the garage or basement. It will be weeks or months before you will need them. The rest of your post is correct.

PS. Buy a smoker, a hive tool, and a veil or hooded jacket. Gloves if you want them. That is a minimum..........