captured swarm late in season?????

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Michbeeman63, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Michbeeman63

Michbeeman63 New Member

captured a swarm in a tree about three weeks ago and put in a nuc box. Have about three frames of bees and a laying queen. Nice brood pattern. I live in Michigan and look at this as an experiment in capturing a swarm.

I have two weaker hives that I considered combining with these bees but decided it was worth seeing what happened.

What can I do with this so late? Can a nuc box of bees survive if fed all winter in southeast michigan?

​Mike

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

If when you combine the two weaker hives,and you could spare 4 or 5 frames of honey to give to the nuc (in a nuc super) you would have a chance. When the temp. dips down in the low 50's and colder, they won't take syrup. Then your only feed source would be fondant or sugar. jmo. Jack

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

If these are all the bees you have ( 2 small colonies and the swarm) I would combine. Take your losses in the fall.

4. blueblood

blueblood New Member

But...I have heard guys here say they have had low count colonies make it over large ones...it's a mystery sometimes with these gals..

5. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Of course there's a difference in our location, but I got a small swarm last year about this time and I put it in an 8-frame box and fed the daylights of them. They made it through the winter but died this spring when it turned warm and then froze again. I'd try to get them through the winter just as a learning experience. But that's how I look at everything I'm doing. :roll:

Good luck and keep us posted! It's the rules ya know. :rules:

6. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I missed a swarm yesterday by an hour or so. Worst cad you end up with a 10 frames of drawn comb to put a package or swarm on in the spring. There is no way to lose unless you drove a long way to get the swarm.