Carniolan or Italian

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by ajaz, Feb 14, 2014.

1. ajaz

ajaz New Member

Which one is best
    Carniolan or Italian
    If I buy Carniolan mine are Italian
    What will be the next breed

2. ajaz

ajaz New Member

Any body come here to reply

3. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

I'm awake .... just.

Why do you want to change ? How do you re-queen your colonies ? Buy in or self raise ?

4. ajaz

ajaz New Member

5. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Ajaz
    That is a debate that has been going on for ever. Italian bees build up sooner and faster in the spring. Sometimes to the determent of the colony as natural sources of nectar are not available yet, and they can starve. Carniolan wait for nectar and pollen to come into the hive to stimulate the bees and brood rearing. So it depends on how you want to manage you colonies and what you need from your bees. Myself being in a area that we want hives with good population of brood and bees in the spring for early fruit tree pollination, the Italians are nice cause they build up early giving us strong colonies for early pollination.
    Look to the areas that the bees have come from and the weather and climatic conditions. Italians from a mild winter weather and an early spring. the bees survived cause nature provided the abundance of bloom for the expanding colonies. Carniolan's from a region with a longer, more severe winter and the natural selection in nature developed a bee that waits for the nectar flow before starting heavy brood rearing. They also developed the need to gather more propolis to use to seal up the hives.
    The short answer is it depends what you want out of your bees. When and what you need them for, I would suggest trying all 3 breeds and chose the ones that best fits into your type of beekeeping. Eventually it will most likely be a cross breed mutt, the type that most of us are keeping. A combination of what survives with our type of beekeeping, and what we like the looks and performance of and select to raise queens from.

6. ajaz

ajaz New Member

Thanks @apisbees