Carpenter bees

Discussion in 'Mason & other alternative bees' started by Hobie, May 31, 2011.

1. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Help! I am overrun with carpenter bees. I know they are great pollinators, and I try to live in harmony, but the piles of sawdust pouring from my barn eaves and rafters has gotten completely out of hand. Any suggestions?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Used motor oil. Spray it on the rafters.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I personally like the "twang" a badminton racket makes when you hit a home run with one of them! :lol:

You can thin the used motor oil down with a little bit of diesel fuel and use a sprayer to apply (garden or paint type)

4. Murrell

Murrell New Member

A couple of years ago I had the wife buy me a badminton racked at a yard sale, just to lob them dern things.
    But they must multpliy like mice !

Murrell

5. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Thanks, all! I've tried the racquet thing, but they are mostly up in the eaves, out of reach. And multiplying like mad. I'll have to try the oil although it sounds like a messy job. Better get an expendable pair of coveralls put drop cloths over the floor and shop tools when doing inside.

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The floor can benefit from the treatment, too. It is a great wood preservative. Shop tools are never hurt by being oiled, unless electrical.

7. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

If whatever you try works let us know! The carpenter bees around here are a terrible nuisance. Mom says "rat shot!" but we don't have any. Daddy used some kind of expanding foam to fill in the holes and that worked until they drilled more holes. Now, they frustrate the bees every time we open the hives but they're too fast for me to wack before they fly away. I'll try the motor oil, daddy's bound to have some.

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Used motor oil on wood works like creosote, but doesn't last as long, nor cost as much. It protects against rot, keeps out pests, ETC.

9. AcmeBees

AcmeBees New Member

I was at a local lumber yard that has turned into a "Demo Depot". They sell used building supplies. The yard is absolutely overrun with carpenter bees. One of the staff showed me the traps he had made. Very close to this design:
    http://www.carpenterbeesolutions.com/

He is having to empty the lower bottle once a week with the bees filling it up.

I have some at the homestead here as well wrecking havoc on my facia boards. I'm going to make some of these and hangem' up.

10. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Just don't take any out of his car/trucks! ;)