Beekeeping Forums banner

Carpenter bees

13K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  mark nic 
#1 ·
Help! I am overrun with carpenter bees. I know they are great pollinators, and I try to live in harmony, but the piles of sawdust pouring from my barn eaves and rafters has gotten completely out of hand. Any suggestions?

#5 ·
Thanks, all! I've tried the racquet thing, but they are mostly up in the eaves, out of reach. And multiplying like mad. I'll have to try the oil although it sounds like a messy job. Better get an expendable pair of coveralls put drop cloths over the floor and shop tools when doing inside.

#7 ·
If whatever you try works let us know! The carpenter bees around here are a terrible nuisance. Mom says "rat shot!" but we don't have any. Daddy used some kind of expanding foam to fill in the holes and that worked until they drilled more holes. Now, they frustrate the bees every time we open the hives but they're too fast for me to wack before they fly away. I'll try the motor oil, daddy's bound to have some.

#9 ·
I was at a local lumber yard that has turned into a "Demo Depot". They sell used building supplies. The yard is absolutely overrun with carpenter bees. One of the staff showed me the traps he had made. Very close to this design:
http://www.carpenterbeesolutions.com/

He is having to empty the lower bottle once a week with the bees filling it up.

I have some at the homestead here as well wrecking havoc on my facia boards. I'm going to make some of these and hangem' up.

#10 ·
If whatever you try works let us know! The carpenter bees around here are a terrible nuisance. Mom says "rat shot!" but we don't have any. Daddy used some kind of expanding foam to fill in the holes and that worked until they drilled more holes. Now, they frustrate the bees every time we open the hives but they're too fast for me to wack before they fly away. I'll try the motor oil, daddy's bound to have some.
Just don't take any out of his car/trucks! ;)

#13 ·
I have some carpenter bees that like to burro into my wood beams, I give em a squirt of carburetor cleaner in the hole and then silicone it closed, but havent done any traps as I dont get a whole bunch of them, this year ill be setting up yellow jacket bait stations with poison they can bring back to their hive and kill the whole lot of them..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.