Catalpa Tree Trap Out

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by blueblood, May 5, 2013.

1. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Here are some pictures form my first trap out this year. The colony is in a branch of a Catalpa tree 20 feet up. It was a bear to get the box secured and the cone on. I sawed the knot/old branch stub off to help make it more flush to accept the cone base. I would liked to have the nuc a little closer to the cone base but, I did the best with what circumstance were given me.
    catalpa trap out 2.jpg catalpa trap out.jpg catalpa trap out 4.jpg catalpa trap out 5.jpg catalpa trap out 6.jpg catalpa trap out 7.jpg catalpa trap out 3.jpg

2. BoilerJim

BoilerJim New Member

Nice job Dave. Nice photos, too. I really liked the civilian hat inside the veil! LOL

3. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Thanks Jim! That is my straw fedora! It has become my trademark under the veil head gear. It's been a fun May so far.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Looks good Dave!! I think you will have success with this trap out.

Is that Ned Ryerson under that veil (the insurance salesman from "Ground Hog Day" :lol:)

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Ha! I had to google Ned but I remember him now...heheh. I guess so, :grin:. I love my fedoras.

Thanks, I hope it does well. It turned colder today at 50 degrees and rainy. My buddy went by to check it out today and said there were some bees still clustered in the base of the cone and just above the cone. I put a trail of lemon grass oil from the base of the cone to the entrance of the nuc and left the q-tips there in the entrance. I hope I brought enough nurse bees to keep the eggs and such warm until the crowd goes in. They may have already went in somewhat but I was not there to watch.

I have a contact with a cherry picker that would lift me up there for free or for a small fee to check on the queen progress in four or so days. It was just too dangerous with the ladder. I am not going to do that again, very risky and not worth breaking my neck over.

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Nope no need to take chances, a nuc cost around $100 or so and a hospital visit will have you laid up for weeks. Glad to see you had a veil and jacket on while you were up that ladder, sometimes a sting in the right place will make you jump around!

7. bamabww

bamabww New Member

Nice pictures Dave, good luck

8. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Here are some pics that owner of the tree sent me today she took.
    IMAG0400.jpg IMAG0395.jpg IMAG0396.jpg IMAG0397.jpg IMAG0398.jpg IMAG0399.jpg

9. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

:coolphotos:......great pix dave!

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Get a bigger ladder. No wonder you had so much trouble.

11. blueblood

blueblood New Member

True...It's all I had to work with at present...:wink:

12. blueblood

blueblood New Member

It was cooler and wet yesterday but today was dry and much warmer in the 60's. I went by to check on them. I was pleased to see a ton of bees! It appeared they had found the nuc from looking the traffic. The cone was absolutely chucked full of bees and one video I attached below catches how well they were pouring out of the tip of the cone. It was 4:30 PM when I checked on them. An officer and new fellow keep drove by at 9:00 PM and said he didn't see any bees on the outside of the cone or the box. It was cooler this evening. I am hoping they all entered the nuc and didn't swarm.
    [video=youtube;Ow0s7PMfuJc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow0s7PMfuJc[/video]
    [video=youtube;ET7M7T4wr14]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET7M7T4wr14[/video]

DSCF6851.jpg DSCF6860.jpg DSCF6861.jpg DSCF6865.jpg

13. blueblood

blueblood New Member

and another:
    [video=youtube;Xz3qhfdLYO4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz3qhfdLYO4[/video]

14. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Those bees sure sounded pissed in the first video!:lol:

I would be checking that nuc in a couple of days, it will be packed full!

15. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"Those bees sure sounded pissed in the first video!:lol:"

not to mention the lawn mower on the 2nd one........:lol:

never mind the bees, what i got a kick out of was the writing on the box......

BL____OODS
    ____S
    CA___N

bluebloods something or another cabin?!.......:lol:

16. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Good one George! I wondered if you would think that sucker would be full after seeing the videos. The bees have been in that tree for at least 5 years. I am assuming I would remove some and take home for a nuc with another frame of eggs since I don't have any extra queens? And, this is why folks probably prefer to use 10 frame for trap outs. I am using one for the brick wall for sure.

Oh, Becky, I will tell....It's Blueblood's Bees Caution....

17. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Every time I have seen the cone fill like that, the queen came out. I think your colony swarmed. Whether to the nuc or to the woods, I have no idea. I would check the nuc asap and take it home if the swarm took up in it. Then I would remove the cone and wait 3 weeks for the new queen to mate before resetting the trap, if you are after the bees. If the goal is to empty the tree of bees, leave the cone in place and install another box.

18. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I wondered Iddee if that may have happened. The cone was really packed. I thought it was extremely odd when I saw so much activity and just a few hours later they were not visible. The homeowner wants the tree emptied. I will check the nuc asap and if they did take up in the nuc, I will replace it with a new one. I was afraid this colony would swarm soon. Our swarm season has just started to wake up.

I looked at the first video closely. It looks like they are marching up to the nuc from the base. You can really see this toward the end of the video when I zoom in. Maybe I am seeing things?

19. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"I will tell....It's Blueblood's Bees Caution...."

........:lol:.....way funny dave! and sorry for sidetracking the thread a little, but this curious brain just had to know what was on that box......so now back to the regularly scheduled programming of your trap out......wish you well on it.......:grin:

20. blueblood

blueblood New Member

No worries Becky...It is beginning to get interesting now...