Catch the Buzz

Discussion in 'Bee News' started by Iddee, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Iddee

Iddee New Member

2. kebee

kebee Active Member

I hope he wins and something is done on the alert part.

kebee

3. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

Wow... Makes me just crazy... Thanks for post, Iddee.

4. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I hope he wins!

5. Zulu

Zulu Member

This will be a very interesting case to follow, this could set a precident , which ever way it goes.......

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

sadly such remedies are now necessary. sadly what ever the outcome this will likely adversely affect beekeepers for some time to come.

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I am actually surprised it took this long for someone to take the step.

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Tec, I'm curious as to why you think it will adversely effect beeks? Anywhere in the US, anyone damaging another's property while doing something illegal, is liable for the value of that property. Why would sprayers and beeks be any different?

9. Marbees

Marbees Member

Wondering about outcome, hope he wins...

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I did not mean to suggest Iddee that anyone should NOT be liable for the damage done.

Most beekeepers of any size depend on setting bees down on property that does not belong to them and for which they pay no taxes. Now when it come to the question of some pest taking out some farmer's crop (by not spraying) or allowing some bee keeper to set bees down on your property... who do you think will win and who do you think will lose on this question???

Of course if this legal precedent become common the price will be rolled over into the spray cost and the end results may take a bit longer but will have the same ultimate outcome.

At one time we had a federally operated indemnity program that handled such problems and didn't require any court time or the hiring of lawyers by two different parties.

at a more pragmatic level if the spaying firm is local and the bee keeper is not, the outcome will likely not favor the bee keeper.

11. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The problem isn't spraying. It's making a phone call or otherwise telling the beek it will be happening.The beek isn't trying to stop the spraying, just wants to know when it will happen. If the farmer loses his pollination bees because the sprayer is too lazy to make a phone call, I would think he would look for another spray company.

It doesn't matter who is local or not, it's who hires the better known LOCAL attorney that wins.

12. melrose

melrose New Member

Last year the counties up here FINALLY implemented skeeter spraying from the air (not like the smokers we used ride our bikes behind in Key West). This after a close friend lost his little girl(on her 4th birthday) to EEE.
    Well... this guy has a sight that you can go to, he plans his flights, if, say your bee yard is scheduled to be sprayed, you send him a google map with coord and a safe zone and he'll avoid spraying the area. I saw him when he came over, thought he was spraying a little close, but no harm came to the yard. that I know of

13. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I don't think it can set a precident if the beekeeper wins because the law is already quite clearly on the beekeeper's side... it would set a dangerous precident if the crop duster wins though. It says that they can ignore the law and not compensate anyone for the damages caused by their lawbreaking activities.​

14. G3farms

G3farms New Member

If I am not mistaken here in TN you will be contacted of crop dusting only if your hives are registered with the state. Other than that it would be up to the crop producer, crop duster and beekeeper to all be on the same page and communicate with each other.