Catching a swarm?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by TheWoodsman, Jan 1, 2011.

1. TheWoodsman

TheWoodsman New Member

I am making a top bar hive, but getting the bees is a little to late probaly, however, I might still get them locally. If i wasn't able to get them though, being that i have a water source nearby and fruit trees and a few gardens within 3 miles, could i catch a swarm? What would i need to do?

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Yes you could most definately catch a swarm. The biggest thing to it is to be in an area that has bees that are going to swarm (kind of like fishing, have to find the fishing hole with fish in it). Put your name out that you are looking to catch swarms, I use several forums (including this one), craigs list, local bee clubs, 911 dispatch, a couple of exterminating companies, tree trimming companies and word of mouth. You will need to be ready when they call you. I keep some stuff in my truck at all times just in case I am out and about, a box the size of a filing box (broke down and folded up to fit behind the seat), duct tape, veil, and smoker. Be prepared to go on a couple of wild goose chases for yellow jackets and hornets also.

I don't keep bees in a TBH (not saying that is not a good thing, just not my style) and I can take a Lang hive with me pretty easy to catch a swarm.

Most times catching them is not very difficult as long as you can reach them. Look throught the "swarms, cut out" section of the forum and you will see several that have been caught.

The last one posted (I believe) was one I caught that was up in a gum tree, I got them with a five gallon bucket I duct taped to a short piece of pipe. You just have to use your imagination sometimes.

Good luck with them and ask any questions.

3. milapostol

milapostol New Member

G3Farms,
    How did you get the swarm into the bucket? Did you shake the bucket and have the swarm fall in or did you have some kind of lure in there? We had a devil of a time trying to get a swarm to fall into a laundry hamper last spring.

Thanks.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Just gave the bucket a good swift "jab" to shake the swarm into the bucket, then immediately dumped them into a hivebody. Took about three times to finally get them all going in. the first time i got the majority of them, waited several minutes for the flyers to cluster back on the branch anddo it again. Works pretty good if they are bunched up on the end of a branch.

5. JPthebeeman

JPthebeeman New Member

Woodsman, G3 gave you some good ideas, one more I will add. Make you some swarm traps (they could be made out of just about anything) and ask around, you may have to really ask around now, in regards to any "bee trees" that are anywhere near your area and place several traps out.

I would put the first trap about fifty feet from the tree, next about 150' and another at say 100 yards from the tree.

Just ask around to see if anyone knows of any bee trees, someone has to know of some in your area.

These bees are likely feral as well and good stock.

Best of luck!

...JP