Catching Swarms

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by tmrschessie, Jul 4, 2012.

1. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

As I am new to this aspect of bee keeping, are there certain times of the year that are better then others? I am in a rural setting and the neighbors etc say they have not seen a swarm in several years. Don't know if they are not looking or the bees just are not in this area. I am working on a cut out now, but would like to get into this aspect of bee keeping more. Thanks for any insight. Tom

2. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Welcome! The link below will be a good place to start. #3 answers your question. I have seen the smart little sayings here and other places before: A swarm in May is worth a load of Hay, a swarm in June is worth a silver spoon and a swarm in July isn't worth a fly....

http://entomology.unl.edu/beekpg/beeswarm.shtml

3. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Thank You Dave. I did not even think to check on Marion Eilis's writings. He helped me years ago. Thank You for the links. Tom

4. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

Put an ad on craigslist and call the local emergency dispatch centers (but don't use 911 to ask to get on the swarm list - they probably don't like that) also call around to the pest control/exterminators in the area. I've caught 6 swarms this year and most have just been word of mouth.

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Your welcome from one corn state to another....it looked like very good, straight forward info.