Catching Swarms

Discussion in 'Building plans, blueprints, and finished projects' started by ApisBees, Mar 14, 2013.

1. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Swarm Catching Sock

This is a design I have came up with for catching swarms that are higher off the ground in trees. We have seen videos of guys on ladders trying to balance nuc or supers to collect a swarm from branch. with the use of a telescoping paint of window squeegee pole swarms up to 30' should be attainable. Doing commercial maintenance I have 24' and 14' telescoping poles. Now I only need to find a net that accepts detachable handles, should be able to find one at the auction.
    Coming up under a swarm and shake the Swarm Sock against the branch to dislodge the swarm so they fall into the sock and thru the cone into the bottom section. The bees if they try to fly will fly to the netting and not out of the swarm sock.
    A Branch Hook may also be needed to get enough shake to dislodge the bees successfully. This could be made from a paint roller handle. Discard the roller sleeve and sleeve holder, bend a hook in the metal, attach a rope and use pole to hook over the branch the bees are on. Unscrew if poll is needed for the Swarm Sock.
    Swarm Catching Sock.jpg

2. Lburou

Lburou Member

Your net reminds me of the nets used in Europe on the straw skeps to catch a swarm and take it immediately to another container. The swarm never actually flies. You have given me some ideas, thank you. :)

3. flyweed

flyweed New Member

very cool. I think this will be my next project! :)

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Get a patent quick Keith! :wink: :thumbsup:

5. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

There are no original ideas out there. They all build on and advancing the technology that was laid out by previous people. Just adapting common available items for a different purpose. Use and share freely.

6. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

I have 26 years as the repair maintenance and equipment person for a large custodial department. We have poles that reach up to 50 feet. Those require two people to lift.

I would suggest you look at Unger for selections of poles. and remember a pole that extends from say 10 to 30 feet will cover any distance in between. You can extend the reach of a 30 foot pole by standing in the back of a truck etc., but honestly do not try to stand on a ladder. the poles can be difficult to control when fully extended.

I may have two 50 foot poles available soon. The department I work for is going to surplus them.