Caught a Nice Little Swarm This Morning!

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by HisPalette, Aug 10, 2012.

1. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

Don't you love those evening knocks at the door!..."Would you like some honey bees?" A local farm had a swarm - easy, low to the ground tree, at a soybean field a mile or so away. They even did the wave when I snipped the first branch! :yahoo::yahoo:
    It is nice the word is getting out that we keep honey bees
    Will write a blog on this soon, but we are so excited, we had to post a few preliminary pics! Thought it was a bit late here for swarms?
    Major dearth, so we are feeding.

Guys, hope this never gets old before we do! Love it!

P1010047.JPG P1010049.JPG P1010065.JPG P1010067.JPG

Attached Files:

2. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Got feelers out all over. Just hoping for a call...nice job. Tom

3. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

My knowledge is limited, but I thought it was a strange time for a swarm, too. But I'm learning that free bees are a good thing! :)

4. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

Did a cut out in May. Had a queen swarm to the top super in a hive in June, but this was our first for real wild swarm. What a rush! Hope you get one soon, too, Tom.

5. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

I would be concerned for this one, for sure, being late. When we heard last night, we thought for sure it had to be on a comb, but it was a fresh new swarm. We may need to boost them with stores from the other hives before fall. We will see. From one hive to this...
    P1010091.JPG
    The 2012 goal was four...we now have seven!

6. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

You sound like a proud new momma! On picture 4 it looks like you want them to draw comb It is a little late in the season for that the bees need all the help they can get to get brood raised to get through the winter. You can give the swarm a frame of caped brood from another colony but if it's from the same bee yard brush off the bees and give only brood to the swarm. The swarm will have enough bees to look after the brood. when hatched will provide 2 frames of bees. the other option is to let the queen start laying and use this nuc to re queen an existing hive that hasn't preformed well. Its not worth poring a hole bunch of sugar syrup into a colony that has a poor chance to survive the winter. Ideally you want at least a full box of young winter bees buy the middle of September for winter' that's 6 full frames of brood. and enough stores for them to survive on while in there winter cluster.

7. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

Thanks, ApisBee, you are right about this. I put two frames of comb with food stores and to blank as space holders. We are short on equipment since this yard exploded. All of the queens are doing well, some colonies are smaller but in second brood cycles. I will definitely add the brood today. Good idea! This Momma was just so excited and now reality! Feedings and diapers! (I didn't sleep since 3 am last night knowing we were going to get these ladies in the morning!)

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Very nice! :thumbsup:
    I am curious as to what that deep started it's life out as? :lol: Waste not, want not! :thumbsup:
    I too have often wondered about late swarms, at times it almost seems like the bees decide that there are not enough reserves for all and a bunch decide to leave for the betterment of the colony (but that is putting a human emotion on them).

9. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

A dresser drawer! Perry. It was an "out of woodenware moment of need" and now it has actually started 3 previous hives - all those "fall out of the sky" bee opportunities. This is number four for the dresser drawer! and 7 for the yard. Needless to say, our beeyard out grew our bee-budget!

10. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

11. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I'm happy for you.

Next year's goal, 12.
    Actual, 30. :grin:

12. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

nice catch, never had a real wild swarm myself, and I love the hive paintjobs, reminds me of my youth when I had all those blacklite posters in my room:lol:

13. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

Isn't beekeeping grand!

14. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

Yes! Us too. Recapturing our youth....and promoting happy honey bees...Steve named this new one "Belle Bottoms"...So I will be painting another hive this month (got the design in my head already :grin:)

15. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Yeah, a grand here......a grand there........pretty soon you're talking real money!

:lol:

16. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

17. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

:rolling::clapping::yahoo:

Wanting a Honey House now!

18. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Me too! In all these years I have still been using the kitchen. My larger extracting gear won't fit so I really, really, really, really need a honeyhouse. :beg:

19. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Now your really talking about blowing the beekeeping budget. That first hive either scares the hell out of you and you give up or you become obsessed. Welcome to BeeKeeping Your Obsessed!

20. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Obsession? Who's obsessed?
    I will be going into my second winter as a beekeeper this year. My wife tells me that last winter, if I wasn't here on the forum, I was sitting, staring into space muttering under my breath about things like small hive beetles, brood chambers, extractors, and other bee related things. I think she's just going nuts. I don't remember anything like that.