Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a young scout and his dad into the apiary today to give them their first bee keeping experience, got them veiled , lit the smoker etc

As we walked up a saw a very small ( maybe 30-50 bees) ball on the ground in the grass.... Not normal so poked around with my finger ...

Yep nice looking queen.....so hoofed back to the house to get my bee box ( another story why it was at the house) where my queen clip was.

Got back in time to catch her, just seconds before all the bees started taking flight out the hive..... Soon we had 5-6000 bees flying and the queen in my hand.....

Great sound too, even the neighbors wondered about it.

Took about 10 minutes to settle down, during that time I brought out a nuc, pulled two honey frames, and fetched two drawn frames, and put the queen in her clip into the nuc and placed it on the ground where we found her.

Some bees went into the nuc, others returned to the original hive.....

Very cool experience for the newbies, and during all of this I was in short sleeves and short pants and sandals like normal, not a sting....

Happened so quickly that I took no pics but Alex did so will get them later.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
You could of just stood there with the queen in your hand for another 10 minutes. :wink: Now that would be a picture I would want to see! :thumbsup: :lol:

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You could of just stood there with the queen in your hand for another 10 minutes. :wink: Now that would be a picture I would want to see! :thumbsup: :lol:
Perry it didn't cross my mind till much too late, I was too focussed on the Boy Scout

Next time.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Great sound too, even the neighbors wondered about it.
It's known as "The Swarming Symphony". Give you one guess as to the name of the composer. :grin:

Where did you place the nuc after all was over?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's known as "The Swarming Symphony". Give you one guess as to the name of the composer. :grin:

Where did you place the nuc after all was over?
I have three other nucs , so I moved them around in the yard so that the new one is in the place of the strongest , so we build up the bee number, strongest ( 10 frames in two levels) is now where this one was overnight.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Very clever.:thumbsup: You'll teach those bees who knows what's best for them. :grin:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts