Caught my first swarm in a trap!!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by melrose, Jun 6, 2012.

1. melrose

melrose New Member

This may not belong in this thread but I have two topics....
    First--- Just took the kids for a walk on our property and wondered by a trap that I set a while back. I made a five frame box and set it in one of my ladder stands. To our surprise, we noticed as we got closer that bees were coming and going like mad... :yahoo:
    Now, what to do?? I don't knw how long they've been there. It's been riany for two weeks, that long ago I checked and no bees had taken up residence. What's going to happen when I move them? Will i mess them up?

Next issue... the kids and I just left MacDonalds, the daughter noticed a sign on the patio that said, "Warning Bees".
    I walked over and there was a little ball and alot flying aimlessly.
    I talked the mgr and someone had come to take them a couple of hours ago. He said that he thought that he had gotten the queen. BUT.... he didn't leave the box to collect the rest.:ranting:

Now why would he do that?

MacDonalds Swarm.jpg

2. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Well if you were to put a box there, with a bit of lemongrass oil, maybe those bees would like to go live with your swarm in a nice 10 frame. That is of course, if the queen isn't with them. Otherwise, sounds like you have a couple of swarms! congratulations!

freebees freebees freebees....:thumbsup:

Gypsi

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

1st swarm = "Now what to do??" Smile of course, you have had more luck in trapping your first swarm than I ever have! :grin:
    Simply collect them (late evening, just before dark), move them to where you want them, put a bunch of grass or branches in front to make them have to reorient when they go to leave in the morning, and after a couple of days, transfer into your new hive.
    2nd swarm = What Gypsi said! Congrats. :mrgreen:

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I would say on the mcbees they are straglers left behind when he took the swarm but you never know there may be a queen there. On the swarm trap bees seel them up at night and move them to your permanent location let them settle for a few days and move them over into the new equipment. Or if in a 5 frame nuc you could let them build up for awhile. You have several options you can choose from and this is the right place to get all the options from the vast panel of experts new and old here on the forum.:thumbsup:

5. melrose

melrose New Member

I've heard that there's a process when you move bees. The trap is about 300yds from my bee yard. Do I have to move them a great distance first then after a bit, move them over to the yard, so as not to mess them up, geographically speaking?
    I did go back to the bees at MacDonald's, they had moved on already. :cry:

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

There is a rule, 2 feet or 2 miles, but in this case if you force the bees to reorient in the morning you should be fine. Otherwise, move them over 2 miles away for a week or so, and then move them back to their permanent home.
    I am betting that those MacBees had a queen. For there to be that many left behind (in your picture) and for them to have "moved on", would be unusual. Usually queenless stragglers left behind will remain for days.

7. melrose

melrose New Member

Yeah.... didn't take them long. I live less than half a mile up the road, went home to get the vac, came back and they were outa there.
    Looking at the tightness of the remaining ball, I suspected that she was still there. Bummer...

8. melrose

melrose New Member

So when I move the trap, do I place grass actually inside the entrance or simply block the entrance with debris.

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Place the grass or debris over your bottom entrance, forcing them to have to manouver their way through it. Don't pack it tight like you are trying to keep them in. The idea is that as they go to leave they will immediately recognize that something is different and that they need to reorient themselves. After a bit they will clear away the grass on their own or you can do it after a few days.

10. melrose

melrose New Member

Aahhh, I see. Thanks for the info. I plan on moving them tonight. Getting them down is going to be nerve racking.

11. jb63

jb63 New Member

Does your five frame trap have frames in it?

12. melrose

melrose New Member

jb63,
    Yes, frames have old brood comb. The attractant is lemon grass oil.

13. jb63

jb63 New Member

That's good ,hopefully she'll start laying right away.